Windows 7 Can't boot Windows 7

bm22

Hello, I have a 5 years old computer and I'm trying to install Windows 7.

I have a problem booting from Windows 7 DVD disc while for my sister this disk is working fine. I have a DVD-drive but I can't boot DVD discs from there - only regular CDs.

Maybe it's because an old Bios version or a old mother board that need an update?

Anyone got a clue? I really want to check out Windows 7 and I'll appriciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, I have a 5 years old computer and I'm trying to install Windows 7.

I have a problem booting from Windows 7 DVD disc while for my sister this disk is working fine. I have a DVD-drive but I can't boot DVD discs from there - only regular CDs.

Maybe it's because an old Bios version or a old mother board that need an update?

Anyone got a clue? I really want to check out Windows 7 and I'll appriciate your help.

Thanks in advance.
If you could post the following information, it will be a lot easier for anyone reading your post to understand why you are experiencing the problem. Otherwise, there will be a lot of visits to this thread with no response at all or no useful response. The list below is based on the FAQ of this Forum with some modification and by no means exhaustive.
Good luck :)

Computer Type : Manufacturer, Make, Model. Examples: "Dell Optiplex 755", "Lenovo Thinkpad T400", or
"I built my own using" :
Motherboard : Make & Model
Processor : Make and Model
RAM : Make Model and Total Amount
Add -on cards if any : Make and Model of : Video card, Network Interface Card, Wireless Adapter Card or USB device, Sound Card

Currently running Operating System : Name: Version: Bit: Build if Beta

Make and Model details of the problem device in the message posted and any other pertinent information leading up to or surrounding the issue.

Look, I know that I need to boot it from a floppy and then launch the Windows 7 Setup, but I have no floppy in my Windows XP. If I had a floppy I could do it easily.

Do you know how I get this floppy drive on My Computer? I have a floppy drive with a floppy disk on it but I can't acess the drive from MY Computer..

No need to get hostile about it my friend.. CMN was simply trying to get some information regarding your comp's specs so he could make an educated recommendation and not just a guess.. ;) Sometimes it can be difficult to help someone if we know nothing at all about their computer.. :)

I'm not hostile about it, if I sounded like I am - I'm sorry.

About the Windows 7 - maybe it's for the best to wait until the final version is out. Is there a date for it? I heard about July but I don't know.
Thanks.

There hasn't been an official date announced as of yet.. but I suspect sometime in the fall of 09 the Retail will go live.. ;) As for waiting until then.. I wouldn't wait that long.. Windows 7 RC is rock solid and a VERY well done OS.. :) There has to be a solution for you.. unfortunately I don't know one right now but I am looking around to see if I can find something that may help you.. I'll report back if I find something.. :)

No need to get hostile about it my friend.. CMN was simply trying to get some information regarding your comp's specs so he could make an educated recommendation and not just a guess.. ;) Sometimes it can be difficult to help someone if we know nothing at all about their computer.. :)

Thank you Radenight. I really wanted to help bm22 but I could get absolutely no bearing what so ever as to how to proceed other than answering what might appear superficially to be the obvious i.e. since the DVD drive is not reading what is stated to be a flawless Windows 7 DVD disc, install a new DVD drive or borrow the working DVD drive from the sister's computer to this system for Windows 7 installation. But then on second thought, I felt that would be an insult rather than a good troubleshoot answer. I hoped for a good follow up with Computer information that would give me the real break through but instead bm22 through a bucket full of cold water on my enthusiasm with the sudden dropping of a non-working Floppy drive once again with no details about the system itself.:) Like many threads lacking adequate Computer Specifications ending blindly, I am afraid this one too will hit the dust.

Thank you Radenight. I really wanted to help bm22 but I could get absolutely no bearing what so ever as to how to proceed other than answering what might appear superficially to be the obvious i.e. since the DVD drive is not reading what is stated to be a flawless Windows 7 DVD disc, install a new DVD drive or borrow the working DVD drive from the sister's computer to this system for Windows 7 installation. But then on second thought, I felt that would be an insult rather than a good troubleshoot answer. I hoped for a good follow up with Computer information that would give me the real break through but instead bm22 through a bucket full of cold water on my enthusiasm with the sudden dropping of a non-working Floppy drive once again with no details about the system itself.:) Like many threads lacking adequate Computer Specifications ending blindly, I am afraid this one too will hit the dust.

I do agree that too often people are leaving out their comp's specs when asking for help.. ;) It happened just as much when the Beta went live.. but it does seem to be improving some.. hopefully bm22 will include his specs in his next post and we can figure this one out.. :)

I can't believe it, I wrote a long message and close the page on mistake. :D

So the problem is not with my DVD drive, my DVD works fine - I just installed a DVD game on my XP using this drive and it read it. The problem is that my BIOS can't boot DVD disks on the DVD drive, only CD disks. Some BIOSs can't automatically boot DVD disks so a solution is to run the windows manually from DOS.

If I get to DOS from the BIOS I could run setup.exe and it would run, it doesn't boot automaticlly but it will work manually. To run DOS I need floppies, it's on Microsoft.com website, I download a file and boot my floppy from the BIOS and it should take me to DOS, from DOS I can boot the DVD drive manually.
My floppy doesn't work so I forgot about it.

The funny thing, the DVD game I installed - I forgot it in the DVD drive and when I turned on my computer it tried to boot it (failed of course) but it got me to DOS! So if I thought about it I could just switch the DVD game disk in the Windows 7 RC1 disk and run setup.exe . Soon I'm finish downloading something from the internet and then I'll do it again - I'll try to get into DOS in the same way I accidently did it earlier.

It might work and it might not work, but nothing bad can happen from trying.

My system is:
Processor: AMD Athelon 1.15
Memory: 780 RAM
Display Card: Radeon 9600SE
Sound Card: Realtec AC'97 Audio.
Hard drives: 2 hard drives, Samsungs SP0411N

Now I'm running Windows XP 64bits with Service Pack 3. Yesterday I had Windows XP 32bits with Service Pack 2 and it also didn't boot.

I really want this Windows 7 RC1, I been waiting for this RC1 for some time now and I heard that it's great even that it's not the final version..

I'll try to boot DOS by trying to but a DVD disk of some game - it brought me to DOS and it should bring me there again and I'll try to boot it manually. I'll come here later and write what happened with it and I hope that it will be "HA! I'm writing this from Windows 7!".

Thank you guys for trying to help. I hope it will work because I really want to see how it looks like. I've thought about trying to install it by installing it on a USB Flash Drive and re-boot the Flash Drive.

I can't believe it, I wrote a long message and close the page on mistake. :D

So the problem is not with my DVD drive, my DVD works fine - I just installed a DVD game on my XP using this drive and it read it. The problem is that my BIOS can't boot DVD disks on the DVD drive, only CD disks. Some BIOSs can't automatically boot DVD disks so a solution is to run the windows manually from DOS.

If I get to DOS from the BIOS I could run setup.exe and it would run, it doesn't boot automaticlly but it will work manually. To run DOS I need floppies, it's on Microsoft.com website, I download a file and boot my floppy from the BIOS and it should take me to DOS, from DOS I can boot the DVD drive manually.
My floppy doesn't work so I forgot about it.

The funny thing, the DVD game I installed - I forgot it in the DVD drive and when I turned on my computer it tried to boot it (failed of course) but it got me to DOS! So if I thought about it I could just switch the DVD game disk in the Windows 7 RC1 disk and run setup.exe . Soon I'm finish downloading something from the internet and then I'll do it again - I'll try to get into DOS in the same way I accidently did it earlier.

It might work and it might not work, but nothing bad can happen from trying.

My system is:
Processor: AMD Athelon 1.15
Memory: 780 RAM
Display Card: Radeon 9600SE
Sound Card: Realtec AC'97 Audio.
Hard drives: 2 hard drives, Samsungs SP0411N

Now I'm running Windows XP 64bits with Service Pack 3. Yesterday I had Windows XP 32bits with Service Pack 2 and it also didn't boot.

I really want this Windows 7 RC1, I been waiting for this RC1 for some time now and I heard that it's great even that it's not the final version..

I'll try to boot DOS by trying to but a DVD disk of some game - it brought me to DOS and it should bring me there again and I'll try to boot it manually. I'll come here later and write what happened with it and I hope that it will be "HA! I'm writing this from Windows 7!".

Thank you guys for trying to help. I hope it will work because I really want to see how it looks like. I've thought about trying to install it by installing it on a USB Flash Drive and re-boot the Flash Drive.

Where is the Motherboard in your SPECS? :)

Back