Windows 7 Can't burn DVDs in Windows 7

biot3ch

I'm using Windows 7 (RC) and I can't for the life of me get a DVD to burn, I've tried using Nero, IMGBurn, AND Windows 7 built in burning functionality. I can burn cds just fine (with all three). When I revert to Windows Vista I can burn DVDs again (these are single layer data DVDs I'm trying to burn, pretty much always at the slowest speed). I only use the highest quality Verbatim DVD+Rs (I trust nothing else). I have a Lite-On SOHW-832S burner with the latest firmware (albeit their last release was 2006). Does anyone know what could be causing this.
What makes this situation a little more odd is that when I reinsert a botched DVD back into my PC, the Windows DVD drive says the media inserted has 4.37GB free of 4.37GB. And for what it's worth, if I try to burn again on these same DVDs that Windows reports to be blank, I get an error message telling me that "There was an error burning this disc. The disc might no longer be useable." What the heck is going on. (No AVG/Firewall/UAC)

Thank you.

Just a side not, the data files I typically burn are almost always in *.7z format.

I find IMGBurn is fine on mine however I ran into issues trying to get NERO v7 to v9 to detect my SATA Pioneer DVDRW as a burnable device....any solutions as I usually go with the lite/mini editions as only use the basic features, not all the added bloatware.

I apologize for not RTFM (Forum Suggestions). I removed the DVD drive via device manager, reboot, and voila. Sometimes the answers are so simple that I feel retarded. Anyways, thank you for having a great forum for us Windows 7 users. Cheers! :)

I find IMGBurn is fine on mine however I ran into issues trying to get NERO v7 to v9 to detect my SATA Pioneer DVDRW as a burnable device....any solutions as I usually go with the lite/mini editions as only use the basic features, not all the added bloatware.

Since some of you guys got Nero 9 working i figured I'd give it a last try, seems I made a noob mistake in forgetting to run a Nero cleaner before trying again, must have been some junk in registry cos said summit about burner drive having wrong letter, wierd since its same as always......anyway tis working now with build v9.260 LITE.

Back