Windows 7 Can't change user folder name to match changed user name

rlavery79

When I tuned on my band new computer for the first time I created one user account for both myself and my wife. We then decided to create separate accounts for each of us. Creating my wife's separate account was easy. After she logged on for the first time a new home folder (under the User folder) was created for her documents, music, pictures, etc. The name of the home folder was set to the name on her account. Here's the problem. I tried to reclaim the original account that was initially created as my own. Renaming the account name was very easy, but the name of the user folder remained at the old joint name that the original account was set at. I tried everything to rename that user folder but I can't do it. Is there anything I can do about this short of completely deleting the original account and starting a new one? Thank you.

I think that you will have to create a new account with the name you want, move all the data to then new folders and then delete the original account.

But you can try logging in as Administrator and see if it will let you change the folder names.
Windows doesn't like you to mess with the default folders it's why I make all my own folders for everything.

How to Enable the Administrator Account

Open the command prompt with elevated privileges by clicking the Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then select Run as administrator.

Type or copy and paste....

net user administrator /active:yes

and then press Enter.

Log out and log back in as Administrator.

When you are done undue the process by doing the same thing and pasting in ….

net user administrator /active:no

Hope this helps.

Mike

That's Normal, It has been like this since GUI Operating systems from Microsoft have been out, First problem found back in Windows 95 and continued through till this day, infact Windows 8 will have it, Ignore it, Otherwise delete the account and create a new one for yours self, it fixes that.

Back