Windows 7 Can't Complete Install - CD/DVD Drivers Needed

Trying to install Windows 7 and get hung up after clicking the "Install" button on boot-up using DVD. It loads for a bit, then tells me a CD/DVD Driver is required and can't be found. I've tried using the Windows\System32\Drivers directory but it says no drivers can be found. I had to get the iso from a bit torrent; could it be I've got a 64 bit install disc and only 32 bit drivers? Maybe that's a dumb question but I'm trying to figure out why I can load the install up to that point from the DVD but it won't locate drivers.

Any help is much appreciated.

If you're installing the 64 bit version of the OS, then you need 64 bit drivers. Without knowing anything about your system, I can't say one way or the other. Do you have a 64 bit processor?

Your best bet would be to download the x64 bit drivers prior to installation, add them to the ISO file, then burn a new disc.

Trying to install Windows 7 and get hung up after clicking the "Install" button on boot-up using DVD. It loads for a bit, then tells me a CD/DVD Driver is required and can't be found. I've tried using the Windows\System32\Drivers directory but it says no drivers can be found. I had to get the iso from a bit torrent; could it be I've got a 64 bit install disc and only 32 bit drivers? Maybe that's a dumb question but I'm trying to figure out why I can load the install up to that point from the DVD but it won't locate drivers.

Any help is much appreciated.

I have the same problem, help be appreciated.
It's a toshiba sattlelite, 32bit.
I deleted and reformatted partion, gave it 20G to install Windows 7 build 7048.
Can't. No drivers.

So, I don't know what to do. Previous OS iso's linux or window, all install well.

But Why Windows 7 failed to install? What drivers? Did i got a wrong driver from the torrent. But I think i got the one for x32 86 processor.

I am having the exact same problem, I get to the install and after a minute or so it gives me the error about the cd/dvd driver. It does not give me enough information to figure it out. I tried to use some drivers from the 7048 install but the computer did not accept any of them. I had no problems like this with the 7000 and 7048 build. Does anybody have a suggestion or can narrow down what specific driver the program is asking for.

Thanks
Derbyman32 :confused:
BTW my computer is also a Toshiba Laptop and I have been running 7000 and 7048 both 64 bit with no problems.

i

Well I figured out my problem but I am not sure it will help you guys. I went back and reburned the ISO a 1x speed. I then had no trouble at all installing. I am thinking that the 1st time I burned it at 8x so I tried the lower setting and I am up and running.

Good Luck ,

Derbyman32

Last edited:
The fix!!

Had same problem. I was using old drives, and fortunately I had a few around. The first one failed in the middle of the install, the second one failed as described below, looking for a driver. The third drive worked perfectly, so 7 is very picky about the drive being used. This maybe a real problem for a laptop with the message, unless you can get it to boot from a USB drive.

Conspiracy Theory

Or, is it, in point of fact, as maintained by popular mythology, a plot to force anyone who has not bought computing equipment lately, to buy new equipment in order to accommodate an unnecessary operating system? I have yet to hear anyone state explicitly why we need a new Windows.

For the record, Windows 7 x64 installs very well on my high speed tower computer, but Windows 7 x86 produces the "required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" error on my four year old Toshiba Satellite laptop. I doubt if I am going to find any appropriate driver by trolling the web. If it were a driver issue, the disk would not have booted in the first place. No, this operating system wants me to get a new laptop. Sorry, no.

Cd Drive

Although I was installing 7 in a new system, the drive I successfully used was dated 2001. I was anxious to see how the new system would do with 7, so I started slaving in old drives until I found one that worked. So the theory of obsolescence is kind of null.

First of all these error messages like so many Windows error messages should not be interpreted literally as such as many of the programmers creating the system software and writing these error messages are not native English speakers and don't seem to realize that Computers are no longer instruments used by scientists in reasearch labs but by ordinary folks from all parts of the world from students, home makers, teachers , lawyers, doctors , soldiers,bank employees to scientis working in Los Alamos and Millitary planners in Pentagon. A clearly understandable error message is a rarity. We see similar problems in hardware installation instruction manuals like Motherboard manuals also. For the error message writer everything is perfectly clear! He or she knows how certain thing is supposed to work and what was observed to happen in its entirety when it does not work. Their "telegraphic style" of writing the error message and poor grammar' make the whole thing a total 'gobbldygook". I saw this post by a very tenacious error message hunter and it may shed some light on your problem. Please Check this link Required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing .... : Windows Vista Setup : Windows Vista IT Pro : Microsoft TechNet Forums It might help you find the solution.

Possible tips to help get past this error

I googled this problem and have found several things that cause this issue. Here is the list of things to try

Before trying any of this backup stuff you want to keep.

1. If you have an IDE master/slave setup, confirm that your drives are properly jumpered (cable select can cause this problem)
2. Check your Bios and see if you are using IDE emulation for your SATA settings. If so change this to AHCI
3. Locate the system drivers for your motherboard and slipstream them in with vlite
4. Get a 4gig USB drive for 8 bucks (4 kingston microSD with usb adapter at newegg) and follow the instructions in this very forum (Windows 7 installation and upgrade) stickyed at the top on how to create a bootable USB Windows 7 installer.

Good luck
Mx

Last edited:
Having this issue also with the 64bit RC version.
Any idea or fix to this for those who can't install off USB Drive?

I am having the exact same problem, I get to the install and after a minute or so it gives me the error about the cd/dvd driver. It does not give me enough information to figure it out. I tried to use some drivers from the 7048 install but the computer did not accept any of them. I had no problems like this with the 7000 and 7048 build. Does anybody have a suggestion or can narrow down what specific driver the program is asking for.

Thanks
Derbyman32 :confused:
BTW my computer is also a Toshiba Laptop and I have been running 7000 and 7048 both 64 bit with no problems.

i

Well I figured out my problem but I am not sure it will help you guys. I went back and reburned the ISO a 1x speed. I then had no trouble at all installing. I am thinking that the 1st time I burned it at 8x so I tried the lower setting and I am up and running.

Good Luck ,

Derbyman32

A very good point . If your computer is able to handle a 64X install then you should all things being equall have no problems .
When burning a system img its vital to burn slow . Fast burns = coasters more times then you can count slow works .
Good luck so many problems on this post my head is spinning :)

My burn was at 2x. Makes no sense

Ty for the info .
I must admit I have no idea why youa re getting the driver problem but there are far more gifted people on here who may well know the answer :)

Hey, I've downloaded the latest Windows 7 install from the Microsoft website yesterday, I tried to install Windows 7 on my PC this morning to find the same error message that everyone on this thread is talking about - no DVD/CD drivers.

My syetem specs are:
AMD Phenom 9950be
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe motherboard
4gb Corsair DDR2 1066
2 x 500gb Seagate hard drives
sata DVD/RW

I wanted to configure my two hard drives for raid 0, windows xp always refused to install in the past with this setting due to a problem with it not finding the ACHI drivers on the install stage with SP3. Windows 2008 was fine with my raid setup, so I figured Win 7 shouldn't have any issues.

Anyway, after I booted into the windows 7 setup screen, the DVD error came up, and I figured that maybe its down to the fact my DVD burner is sata, and if its set to ACHI in the bios it could be causing the problem. I went back into the bios and set the sata to emulate IDE, tried to install again, and the error message didn't come up.

CD/DVD Drivers Missing

I suspect that it could be an issue with one of two factors.

I downloaded on the first day of release, the download started poorly and then rapidly increased. The ISO was then burn on a pioneer 119 drive (SONY 16x Media @ 8x). I tried to install on various hardware configurations from Intel based chips to AMD Nforce chip. I got the same error with everything.

I tried to create a USB pen from the Disk - Read error on one of the files on the DVD

I downloaded the ISO again and this time used a different drive to burn the image, Unbranded DVD Writer (DH20A3P) with same media 8x.

It installs on everything.

Not entirely sure if it was a bad download or the Pioneer drive. If you downloaded again and you get the same issue, try burning with another Writer

Same problem for me:

I Have a Asus Striker II Formula Board with SATA Drive and SATA DVD drive.

Tried the latest Windows Vista 64Bit Drivers, but no luck. The same thing happens when I try to install the 32Bit version.

I am out of ideas, and want to try windows 7 so badly :(

I had this problem on my Dell Inspiron 9300 and an older custom built desktop. Several downloads and burns later, it turned out I needed to use a DVD +r instead of a DVD -r Worth a shot if you are only using one or the other.

I managed to do an upgrade, and then install a fresh copy of Windows 7 32-Bit, but are still unable to install the 64-bit

classic microsuck problem

I have the same problem, help be appreciated.
It's a toshiba sattlelite, 32bit.
I deleted and reformatted partion, gave it 20G to install Windows 7 build 7048.
Can't. No drivers.

So, I don't know what to do. Previous OS iso's linux or window, all install well.

But Why Windows 7 failed to install? What drivers? Did i got a wrong driver from the torrent. But I think i got the one for x32 86 processor.

Fixed problem by downloading iso 3 times. Finally got a good one, 32bit.

Back