Windows 7 Can't connect wireless (i know there were several already didnt see my problem)

Gunnar

I know there were several post about this but didn't see one to correct my problem. I apologize if there is and I didnt see it. router is working properly. I have two hard lines into it and one wireless. My laptop was working correctly previously. Went to school a ways away came back and I can't connect now. I can see my wireless network but will not let me connect. It is a secure network but doesnt even ask me for a pw just tells me theres a problem. Have tried several things i have seen on this forum but to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Solution
OK, sorry...I know that you said that it had been working previously, but I didn't know that it had been working for 6 months. What release of Win7 are you using and what release were you using 6 months ago? I am just guessing but when you went away perhaps you installed or upgraded or just updated some third party software like a firewall product or and antivirus / Internet Security Suite with a firewall addin, or Itunes /bonjour /mdnsresponder or an Adobe product which installs a bonjour/mdnsresponder type product. Check task manager and see if bonjour or mdnsresponder is running also check services.msc and see if there is a pecurliar string at or near the top that contains a bunch of numbers and or characters. If so set them all...
Gunnar:
Have you tried setting your router to open / no security encryption. See if you can connect and then set the router back to secure / WPA or WPA2 and see if you are then prompted for a security key. Then type the key in notepad, examine it to make sure it's correct and paste it into the boxes.

Went no encryption and still could not connect. I usually use WEP but if its not working without encryption then i wouldnt think that was the problem. Plus it has worked for 6 months with no problems.

OK, sorry...I know that you said that it had been working previously, but I didn't know that it had been working for 6 months. What release of Win7 are you using and what release were you using 6 months ago? I am just guessing but when you went away perhaps you installed or upgraded or just updated some third party software like a firewall product or and antivirus / Internet Security Suite with a firewall addin, or Itunes /bonjour /mdnsresponder or an Adobe product which installs a bonjour/mdnsresponder type product. Check task manager and see if bonjour or mdnsresponder is running also check services.msc and see if there is a pecurliar string at or near the top that contains a bunch of numbers and or characters. If so set them all to manual or disable and stop them.

Solution
Thanks I'll try that. Sorry if i'm being a pain. Don't know much about this but I appreciate you taking the time to work on it with me.

Back