Can't create Win 7 Gateway Recovery disks

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by win7mart, May 20, 2010.

1. win7mart

win7mart New Member

Hi there
    I recently bought a new Gateway desktop. I added another hard drive to it and installed Ubuntu on it. Ubuntu installed the Grub bootloader to the wrong drive, the Windows 7 drive. All this happened before I made the Gateway Recovery Backup disks.
    I managed to fix the Windows 7 drive to boot again by using Bootrec.exe /Fixmbr and /FixBoot.
    But now when I try to create the Recovery Disks, I get the following message: "Hard drive configuration is not set to the factory default. Backup aborted."
    I tried to restore to factory default at startup but I never get the menu I am suppose to get. I just get some kind of prompt, but no recovery option. This is by pressing Alt+F10 a bootup.
    When I look at the drive with Gparted, it looks like the drive doesn't have the recovery partition. I have attached a screenshot of it.
    Can someone help, please?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. win7mart

win7mart New Member

I wonder if the partition information was somehow messed up, and now Windows can't see the partition anymore.
    Any suggestions?

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Possibly when you ran the commands, or installed Linux, you overwrote the boot sequence needed to get to the required menu?

Do you have any other DVD/CDs from Gateway, or have you checked to see if you could get some?

The 1 MB partition you have at the front bothers me a little since I have seen that after some dual boot installs. I will assume it did not come that way.

If you open an administrative command prompt in Win 7 and type bcdedit, take a snipping tool picture of that and attach. You did say Win 7 is booting normally...

4. win7mart

win7mart New Member

Thanks for your response Saltgrass.
    Yes, I think you are correct. When the Linux bootloader was written to the Windows drive (by accident), it overwrote part of the partition table.
    I ran a check with a tool called Testdisk, and it shows that there is a partition that was deleted, but it can't recover it.
    Unfortunately I did not make the Recovery Disks before this happened.
    For now, I have Windows 7 working properly, but I would like to reset it to factory default.
    I have just ordered the Recovery Media from Gateway (Acer). That will solve my whole issue.

Thanks again.