Windows 7 Can't delete folders

don cole

After a lot copying file from my old computer to new Windows7 computer. I must have
messed up because I now have in my c: drive:

c:\Program Files 6/20/2010 4:27 PM
c:\Program Files 6/20/2010 3:01 PM
c:\Program Files(x86) 6/20/2010 1:50 AM
This should be easy to fix just merge all files into one new folder and delete all
the old ones.
The problem is they won't delete.
It says you require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder.
I am the Administator. And I made the changes to trustedInstaller making me have full control
How can I delete these folders?
Don Cole

You might need to either Login under Build-in administrator or Take Ownership and then try to delete those file. Follow this Tutorial to enable Build-in administrator Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums and Take Ownership Shortcut - Windows 7 Forums

Thank you Captain Jack,

The Take Ownership shortcut sems to work ok.

But only allows you to delete folders inside of folders. Not the folders (inside of drives) themselves.

I don't understand why there 2 'Program Files' folders this could never happen with XP.

IE in my startmenu points to a program the 'Program Files(x86)" folder.

So I don't know if it'a good idea for me to delete these program files untill i know more about windows7.
Don Cole

Hello !!

Please don't delete those. One belongs to 32-bit application and another for 64-bit !!

Hope this helps,
Captain

Thank you Captain Jack,
I'm not deleting any folders.
As you can see above I have 3 Program Files folders. Is this normal?
If not how can I fix it?
From what I read Program Files is for 64 bit programs and Program Files(x86) is for 32 bit files.
This I understand but what's the 2nd Program Files folder for?
Don Cole

Back