Windows 7 Can't drag and drop files.

leesaxon

Uploaded some photos to a dedicated file on my pc from my camera. I used to be able sort them into their dedicated files, but today I tried and I couldn't do it. The same happens with my emails if I want to save them to their dedicated folder, ie:friends info etc. Read on another forum that Windows does this for some reason. Anybody give me any 'proper' info please. Real pain not being able to drag and drop files where I want them to go. Thanks guys, look forward to your replies.

There have been several threads about dragging and dropping, and along that line, cut and paste, but I have not seen a resolution. About all I know that is directly related, is the check box on the Start Menu Properties, Customize, Enable context menus and dragging and dropping.

Is there anything specific, like a certain program it will not work in?

Have you tried different mice, or a new mouse driver?

If you are referring to a specific folder or type of files, it might be related to where the folder is located on your system, or who has permission to access it.

Last edited:
Hi Saltgrass, thanks for your reply. I use my laptop so I'm using the mouse pad built in. I'm trying to move photos in 'My Pictures' in Windows 7. My laptop is an Advent Roma 4001. Windows 7 Home Premium. 500GB H/D. Integrated Intel (r) Mobile 4 Series graphics. 4096MB DDR2 RAM. Intel Pentium T4400 Processor. Does this spec help any? As previously stated, my emails wont drag and drop into their respective folders if I want to save them.
Look forward to your replies again. Thanks.

Can you drag and drop or copy and paste anything, like text or URL address?

You are moving your picture files from My Pictures to? What window/s do you have open when you try to drag and drop?

What e-mail program are you using?

Are you doing this online, or "In the Cloud"?

Are you getting any messages telling why you cannot move them?

Hi Saltgrass. I can 'copy & paste' but I've noticed the LEFT click on the mouse pad won't work. I'm opening 2 windows so I can move the photos about to their right file. It worked ok before. I use hotmail and aol. The emails are online, the photos aren't. No messages telling me why In cant move them. The option just stopped working for some reason. I've been into the mousepad option, called, Synaptics Pointing Devices, can't seem to find an option to update the mouse.
Before when I wanted to save emails I left clicked and dragged the email to a folder I wanted to save it in. It won't left click any more. Any ideas?

Last edited:
There is always a chance the left click button has stopped working. If it has, might be electrical (switch related) or some debris might have gotten under it. If it thinks it is always pressed, that might effect some actions.

For the pad, on my system in Control Panel, mouse, I have a tab for the Dell Touchpad which gives you the ability to change the buttons. You found the same type of thing for the ALPS pad, but it may not have the same options.

Going into the Device Manager, you might be able to update the driver from there. If that won't work, you might try uninstalling the touchpad and letting windows find it again.

Why you cannot move the files, I am still uncertain. If you have room on the drive, and the file is not locked in some manner, it should move. I notice if I download some things from the net, if I look at the properties of the file, there is an unblock button that needs to be activated for some functions to work. But if these are your files from your computer, I do not know what might lock them.

hi i had this problem for mths. i dont know anything about computers but i figured out that if you tap twice fast on your touch pad and when your 2nd finger hits the t/pad gently keep it on and move your icon/item :) works for items in games too. it takes a bit of getting used 2 lol i have windows 7 hope this works for anyone :)

Back
Top Bottom