Windows 7 Can't Dualboot

justjules

Hi, heres my problem, I've just installed Wimdows 7 64Bit onto another Hard Disc so as to keep this copy of XP safe. All went well it loaded and activated just fine I didn't even install any drivers for it but the video seems fine. So I have a look around all seems nice and as it should, I join the home network I've set up without a hitch. But when I shut down and restart it goes straight into W 7 no dualboot option. Only when I've disconected the W 7 disc can I get back to XP. Anyone got any ideas how to sort this out.

Cheers for you help.
JJ :confused::confused:

Vista and XP use different boot managers (bootstrappers). Win 7 RC is compatible with Vista, but is just as touchy as Vista when XP is involved.

Try this site first and read the option from the pull-down that fits your circumstance:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Then also go to the EasyBCD site and read their FAQ about XP. Between the two sources, I am certain you will sort it out

I am curious, though. I am not criticizing, just asking a question - Why are you going from XP to 64-bit Win 7 RC instead of 32-bit? Anyway, let us know how it goes. There may be others in your same boat. I know from experience that while XP and Vista/Win 7 can coexist, it takes a little tweaking on our part. I have Vista 64-bit and Win 7 RC 64-bit on one machine (Gateway DX4200-09), and XP and Win 7 RC 32-bit on another (Gateway 550GR). They both dual boot without a problem, but I had to use EasyBCD to get there with the XP system. I also have an HTPC I built from scratch on which I am currently using Vista 64-bit, and I am looking forward to switching to Win 7 upon its final release.

P.S. I know it says Vista above, but for all intents and purposes, Win 7 is Vista on steroids.

Last edited:
Hi daprez546, thanks for that I will have a look and post back. Re your curiosity the reason I wanted to go 64-bit is thats the way I see the future going plus I want to go above the 4Gb RAM limitation.
Cheers
JJ

dual boot vs. booting from seperate hard drives

You stated that you installed Windows 7 on a seperate hard drive, this is not a "dual boot" configuration as in dual boot refers to two operating systems on the same hard drive. In your configuation you will not get the option of which operating system to choose boot with, you must enter bios to choose which hard drive to boot from. Hope this helps.

Hi sooshle, you were right on with that , I now just want to find an easier way to swap between the discs, if there is such a thing.
Cheers again
JJ

Hi justjules,

You should be able to add XP to the 7 boot options.

Is XP on Disk 0 or Disk 1 - I assume it is on the first partition on that disk?

Unzip the relevant one from below and put the 3 files ( not the containing folder) directly on the root of your 7 drive - should look like this:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Open an elevated command prompt and type: ( press enter after each command)

bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"

bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=C:

bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

Close cmd prompt

Last edited:
Back