can't find restore date from more than a couple of weeks ago

hi everybody,

I built a Win 7 PC for recording MIDI and everything was going fine until recently the main application that I use has been crashing. I've talked to the manufacturers and they can't figure it out,but I have a feeling it's from some updates I did on Oct 20th 2012.
I looked in my restore points and can't find anything earlier than a couple of weeks ago even when I check "show more". Is there a way to restore to a month ago to see if it fixes my problem?

thanks,

G

zvit

Honorable Member
Welcome to the forums.

No, if a restore wasn't saved, you can't restore to that point.

You might not have enough space allocated to restore points. You can change this like so:
How to Change Windows 7 System Restore (System Protection) Disk Space Usage Size Limit « My Digital Life

You can also make your own restore points occasionally:
How to Change Windows 7 System Restore (System Protection) Disk Space Usage Size Limit « My Digital Life

hi,

I've been creating restore points since I built it back in July so they should be there ,I read somewhere that Windows doesn;t want you going back more than a couple of weeks for stability etc...

thnx

G

Joe S

Excellent Member
They won't be there if there is not enough space allocated. When the alloted space is used up it automatically deletes the oldest one to make room for a new one.
Joe

hi,
thanks,I just noticed that turn off system protection was checked in the configure tab as well as the slider all the way to the left which I though said max but really means 0% I guess although it says there's 6GB of backups,oh well,live and learn. I set it to 40GB,should that be ok to keep a couple of months backups?
thanks again for all the help,

G

Joe S

Excellent Member
System restore is sometimes useful but not always and going back very far can cause it's own problems. A better idea is to make an image either with Windows Backup or thirdparty software. I use Acrinis True Image. Paragon, EaseUS, and Macrium all have free stripped down versions. I also partitioned my HD with system on one and data on the other. Then you can restore the system without bothering your data.
Joe

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.