Can't get Sound Driver to Work

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by JT812, Nov 4, 2009.

1. JT812

JT812 New Member

I originally had a SoundMAX Digitally Integrated Audio sound driver but when I checked to see if it could be upgraded it changed to Realtek AC'97 audio. This however wouldn't work so I tried rolling back and reinstalling but it wouldn't work. Then I read that I should try uninstalling my current audio driver which I did and the Realtek AC'97 audio still doesn't work. It says "The device cannot start. (Code 10)"

So I tried to find my old SoundMAX audio driver but have had no luck. In fact I can't find any audio drivers that will work on my computer. I tried to find an XP SoundMAX driver but none of them will install correctly.

So please, I just need an audio driver that will work with Windows 7 on my laptop. It is a Compaq Presario R3202US and running Windows 7 32-bit.

If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated.

2. JT812

JT812 New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by setting the compatibility to XP or how to do it, so if you could help me on that I would appreciate it.

And I know there is a sound driver that works because I had one running correctly on Windows 7 until I uninstalled it, but I don't know what it was:frown: