Windows 7 Can't get to internet. Accidently Removed the Network Manager

sdruley

I have a Dell Alienware M18. I inadvertantly uninstalled the Network Manager. Now I can't get a wireless connection. Is there a way I can reinstall this program? I have the original Windows 7 disk. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 64bit

THIS ISSUE IS NOW RESOLVED

Last edited:
Try running the system file checker. Run command prompt as administrator and enter:

sfc /scannow

Dear Mr Cooke,

The system requested that I sign on as an administrator before using the sfc utility. I just can't figure out how to do this. I thought I was the administrator.

Try running the system file checker. Run command prompt as administrator and enter:

sfc /scannow

Dear Mr Cooke,

The system requested that I sign on as an administrator before using the sfc utility. I just can't figure out how to do this. I thought I was the administrator.
Click the
Start Orb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt (right click it and choose "Run as Administrator"
Additionally if the missing "Network Manager" is an application specific to your computer "Dell", you may need to look there Link Removed - Invalid URL to re-acquire the product.
In the mean time check the services console
Click the start orb and type
services.msc
and hit enter
scroll to near the bottom and find WLAN AutoConfig
double click it and set the startup type to automatic and click the start button.

sfc scan.pngWLAN Aotoconfig2.pngWLAN AutoConfig 4.pngWLAN Autoconfig.pngWLAN Autoconnfig 3.png

So far no luck...

Can you identify the source of the "Network Manager" application?
Is it part of the Alienware Command Center?
Is it a product of the software driver package for the installed network adapater(s)
Is it a product of your wireless router software package that you might have installed.
In other words where did it come from? It's not part of Windows 7, nor can I find any mention of it on the Dell Alienware Forums.
Have you tried using your Service Tag Number on Dell Support to see if there are any additional software packages that may be included as part of your PC's software or utilities?
Are you receiving any error messages related to the missing software or any Event Viewer notifications in Windows Logs->Applications or System?
Does the system work OK if you plug in the wired adapter, if that is an option?

Mr. Whisperer,

Anyone that catches a fish that big has got to be excellent at everything. Based on your way of thinking, I was able to download the correct software from Dell. Now my system seems to see every wireless point in the neighborhood... better than ever. My thanks to you and your other colleagues for your support.

Thanks, you're welcome and it's kind of you to followup and let us know that you have managed to resolve your problem. Thanks for posting back.
We all hope to continue to see you around the forum
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom