Can't install Firefox because I don't have "necessary permissions"

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by adanedhel728, May 6, 2009.

1. adanedhel728

adanedhel728 New Member

When I try to install Firefox, I get an error that says "You may not have the necessary permissions to use all the features of the program you are about to run. You may run this program as a different user or continue to run the program as the current user."

Then it gives me an option of running as the current user, which does nothing, at all except close the program, or running as "Administrator" which gives an error because there's no password for Administrator. It's very frustrating; is there any way to get around this?

2. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Go to Control Panel > User Accounts, click the Change user account control settings and set the slider to never Notify.

You can leave it at this setting as long as you have a good Anti-virus , spyware detector and personal firewall.

kaitokid11 likes this.
  3. adanedhel728

adanedhel728 New Member

Ah, thanks, that worked.

4. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Great,

Thanks for posting back too as that can help other posters with that problem.

5. jcooklock

jcooklock New Member

I had this same problem except for one thing. I already had mine set to never notify and firefox wouldnt install. I actually had to set mine back up to the default setting to get firefox to install.

6. VicVicVic

VicVicVic Senior Member

Exact same experience for me when I tried to install my girlfriend's Firefox program. Very strange.

7. tolique

tolique New Member

hello,

I just joined this forums to let you know how I managed to install FF 3.5.5.

As a new user of Windows 7 the first thing I did was to set the UAC on never notify. I've tried to install Firefox and had the same problems as you did, but UAC was already on "never notifiy". After reading this topic I switched back to default settings for the UAC and it worked like a charm.

Don't know what the deal is because I just installed 7 today, but I guess some programs are loving the UAC. :D

8. hilfordjames

hilfordjames New Member

Hello everyone

Thanks for the thread - Its so frustrating how simple things in XP are now creating forum missions to resolve.

I had the same problem ie had the setting set for "never notify" and so I nocked it back one selection and now I can install any of the Firefox versions.

I'm using a brand new PC with Windows 7 Pre-installed - total hours use now 3. Total hours of frustration trying to get it to fun like XP pro 2.5!!!

9. nixon

nixon New Member

if your trying to download firefox and it tells you for a password for administrator put your pc on SAFETY MODE and try again that works! :thumbs_up:

10. kaitokid11

kaitokid11 New Member

Thank for your sharing

#10 kaitokid11, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  11. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

Yeah well, we have the main word, Sharing. Not like knowing or anything. Or being certain.

To share sounds like an extended big heart. Go for it.

12. accordionist

accordionist New Member

It will also help if you right-click on the Mozilla installer and choose "run as administrator." I was having this exact same issue and it worked for me.