Windows 7 can't install HP 1315 all-in-one

nadavkrv

hey i'm new here, and new to windows 7.
i have windows 7 RC build 7100.
i'm trying to install the driver+solution center application(for vista. the xp ver. is incompatible)
the problem occur when i'm asked to plug the usb cable to the device.
for several minutes nothing happens and then it fails...

can someone help?

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

It sounds like you might have to wait until a driver is released for your specific printer.. ;) Though many printers are supported at this point in Windows 7's development, there are still a large number that aren't.. people with those printers will just have to wait until the manufacturer releases a driver.. Alot of Vista driver's do in fact work with Windows 7 but unfortunately not all of them do..

Is this the driver you are trying to install? Link Removed - Invalid URL (HP Full Feature Software and Drivers - 163.07M)?

Unfortunately that CAN be the price you pay when testing Beta and RC version's of OS's... ;) An alternative would be to setup a dual-boot system.. If you still have your Vista or XP installation discs you could install one of those on a seperate partition of your HDD which would allow you to use your printer until the Retail version of Win 7 is released (at which time a driver for your printer will most likely surface).. ;)

OR if you don't want to do that you could install Vista or XP over top of the Windows 7 installation.. This would of course mean that you wouldn't be able to continue testing Windows 7 but like I said, Beta and RC software isn't 100% compatible with ALL products.. hence the purpose of testing it.. ;)

I had that problem with my HP Photosmart 3210xi network printer. I fixed it by running the software installation .exe in compatability mode for Vista SP1 and run as administrator. It went through beautifully after that.

Hope it helps.

I had that problem with my HP Photosmart 3210xi network printer. I fixed it by running the software installation .exe in compatability mode for Vista SP1 and run as administrator. It went through beautifully after that.

Hope it helps.

That is also a very good suggestion.. ;) It has been working for some but also not working for about just as many.. worth a shot though.. ;)

Ya no, that's true.

I've got some CD's with old software on them.

You can tell they're old because the icon is generic, because apparently Windows 7 needs multiple sizes and resolutions to correctly display the icon.

I've tried double-clicking on these setup.exe files and nothing happened,. I then chose Run As Administrator at they worked.

I also just discovered the error message from Resource hacker that "This is not a valid Win32 application" It's a NEW (NE) execuatble, not a PE which has been the startard for XP through Windows 7 I believe. In basic terms it's a 16-bit application

Last edited by a moderator:
Download the software, if not already, and expand it into a folder on your hard disk. Right click the executive and select compatibility. Choose Vista or XP, whichever you have downloaded.
Now, in the Control Panel, Run the "Devices and Printers - Add printer.
Add a local printer.
Create a new port. (Select "Local Port"
Next
Give it a name - whatever you like.
Now you will get a list of printers to install. You won't find your printer here, so select "have disk"
Point to the folder you have created and run the setup. It often works.

That's a very good idea.:)

I ran across that yesterday in a post where the OP provided a screen shot of that exact box with the list of available drivers. I had totally forgotten that option.

Hope it works out

I didn't have to download anything from the HP site, try this...

As soon as you plug in your printer and turn it on, Windows 7 will automatically download some drivers for it. After that I went to Start> All Programs > Windows Updates and Clicked the "x updates are available" link, where I found an additional HP update to install.

After that, open Windows Explorer (on the task bar by default) and go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers\hp psc 1310 series. From there you can select "Scan a document or picture" or drag it to the desktop so it's easy to get to. From there you can figure out the rest...

This isn't anything like what you may be familiar with from the HP software on XP or Vista, but it works, or it did for me atleast.

Back