Windows 7 Can't login

Pinkipad

Dell netbook using Win 7 Home. I booted today, saw the Dell logo, saw Windows loading. Screen was blank after 8 minutes. Tried to shut it down and a small box came up. Couldn't read it too well but I did see error, login, more in error log. I tried F2 but too quickly the text disappeared. Tried to shut down and it gave the "Windows did not shut down properly" error screen and i decided to go in via Safe Mode. Watched drivers load and it stopped on avgidshx.sys

AVG is on it but I don't use it.

How can I get to the login screen? I need to sync in Firefox so I can transfer all bookmarks to my new laptop. Then I can toss the netbook in a closet.

If all else fails use your new laptop to make a Ubuntu disk and use it to boot your old computer.
It will at least let you copy all the stuff off your old computer.

Download | Ubuntu

Use Image-burn to create a bootable disk from the ISO file.

The Official ImgBurn Website

The disk will let you either boot directly from the disk or use it as an installer.
It's a handy thing to have around, I haven't found any computer that my disk hasn't booted.

It's save a lot of data.

Mike

I need just one set of files. Everything else I uploaded then FTP'd over to the new laptop. I need to open Firefox then sync it to my new machine. I have 200+ bookmarks I need. I would open Firefox and print them as s last resort....I can't figure out why the netbook crashed on that file. Google shows a LOT of people crashing on that file but no fix.Copying the files over was something I had done but I had issues getting them to show up correctly. I didn't do the Firefox files that way. I deleted them from the Flash drive: (So ... any way other than this? I have an external DVD writer but, without going into details, extremely limited time daily on the computer. The time needed to download, install then run two programs might not be possible. I'm sorry to throw up obstacles and seem ungrateful as I'm not; just wanted to explain further.

The only thing I could suggest, if you can't use the "Last known Good" option on the recovery system, is to boot into something offline and change the name of the file, to a .bak or something instead of .sys.

The Safe Mode boot normally shows ClassPnP as the last file while loading, so showing the other one may mean it is causing the problem, but I can't say for sure the one after it is not involved. You would probably need a bootlog to tell for sure.

Edit: It also appears in your Users\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Somestrangename folder, there is a Bookmarksbackups folder. Maybe you can use that to move the bookmarks. AppData is a hidden folder so you need to set it viewable in the folder options, view options.

Edit: I just tried and it seems to work. Restoring the old file does wipe out any current bookmarks.
But copy the folder to maybe your desktop. It contains several files listed by date. Each one contains a list of your bookmarks for that date. Pick the latest one with the largest size and use the Bookmarks, Show All Bookmarks, and Import and Backup dialog to choose which file you want to use.

Last edited:
The only thing I could suggest, if you can't use the "Last known Good" option on the recovery system, is to boot into something offline and change the name of the file, to a .bak or something instead of .sys.

Ok, how do I boot into something offline? If it hangs on that, let's get rid of it.

Edit: It also appears in your Users\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Somestrangename folder, there is a Bookmarksbackups folder. Maybe you can use that to move the bookmarks. AppData is a hidden folder so you need to set it viewable in the folder options, view options.

Edit: I just tried and it seems to work. Restoring the old file does wipe out any current bookmarks.
But copy the folder to maybe your desktop. It contains several files listed by date. Each one contains a list of your bookmarks for that date. Pick the latest one with the largest size and use the Bookmarks, Show All Bookmarks, and Import and Backup dialog to choose which file you want to use.

I only have 7 bookmarks on this laptop as I figured I'd bring them over.

I need to be able to get into Windows to get the file ..... this is my problem.

Saltgrass mentioned trying "Last Known Good Configuration", an option in the advanced boot menu that you should be able to access by tapping the F8 key during the POST portion of the machine first starting. Have you tried that?
"Something offline" is what MikeHawthorne was suggesting when he mentioned booting from a Linux Live CD.
If you are good from a command prompt you may find using the Recovery Environment when booting from a repair CD which you can get here Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thanks, will try F8 tonight. I used to be a whiz at Command prompt but illness robbed me of memory. Plus I have the issue of my DVD/CD external not working last time I used it.

F8 once it begins booting (screen is blank) then Last Good ... will post results either tonight (if I get in) or tomorrow.

F8 will have to wait until tomorrow. I wanted to do it tonight but I forgot (illness related) so will write myself a note for tomorrow. I knew I had to do something but thought it had to do with running a repair disk I've yet to create.

Back