Windows 7 Can't Play Music!

Kiera

Hi... I'm hoping someone here can help me...

I'm unable to play music. I have no problem listening to audio (youtube, pandora, etc) so I don't believe its and audio related problem but more of a music player problem.

I had the windows media player and I think I did use it once, without a problem, then I installed iTunes and now I'm unable to listen to my .mp3 and .wma files. They will load on iTunes but wont play and when I try to play them on Media Player a notification will come up saying it has encountered an error on the file. I've already checked and the files are not corrupt, I was able to play my music in other laptop that also has Windows 7 (but no installed iTunes). Also I'm unable to listen to music on limewire's built in player.

OS Windows 7 64-bit

Please... can someone help me... I'm getting desperate here only listening to on-line music.

Thanks in advance!!!

I suppose it's possible that somehow iTunes messed up the codec or the songs have DRM? I'd try a 3rd party player such as winamp and see if that works, then remove iTunes and reinstall making sure it's done custom way to select the files it associates with are not mp3 format.

Windows 7 comes with example audio files. Have you tried playing one of those with Media Player?

Do you know if you allowed iTunes to convert any of your files?

What program starts if you double click an .mp3 file?

If you open Media Player help then About Media Player then Technical information, you should see the audio codecs listed in the attachment. This is for an x64 install.

You might see if opening an Administrative command prompt and type sfc /scannow would help and possibly replace a corrupt system file.

If you go to the control panel and Programs, then click on turn on or off Windows features, the Media Player can be unchecked, the rechecked later. Maybe this would reload the player.

Attachments

• Codecs.GIF
    Codecs.GIF
    17.1 KB · Views: 502
Back