Windows 7 can't play video without always reinstalling windows media player

patagone

Hi,
Sorry if this is a really stupid question, I am new to windows 7, and was trying to run the tutorials supplied my microsoft, but every time I try, I get a message saying that I need to download windows media player.

This takes way too long to do for every tutorial, & yes, I have to do this for each one!
I will never learn anything at this rate.
I cant see why the windows 7 creators would insist I use a player with the windows
name, windows media player, if it does not even work. How limited and it should be embarassing.

How do I fix this? What am I missing?
:confused:
Thanks in advance,
patagone

Hey there.

Not too sure which tutorials you mean, but if they are made by Microsoft as you're saying, it would work by using Silverlight.

Install this and see if things go better for you:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Do a Windows Update after installing too.

Why are you using windows media player anyway?
its maybe the most heaviest video software.

much more better choice would be BS player or free VLC player
and if you wanna listen music use foobar2000.
both of those programs are very light and don't use so much memory or strain computer so much like WM player.

Using Windows Media Player for Videos
Fallen is on the right path, as there are a lot of better players, especially for video. But if you must have Windows Media Player working, it is built into Windows 7. I have a large music library and manage it with Windows Media Player, as I like how it automatically picks up on Music in folders and libraries. However, I would be less inclined to use it for video or movies.

Finding Windows Media Player in Windows 7
Is it possible that you accidentally uninstalled Windows Media Player? Windows Media Player is included as one of the programs on the task bar which is pinned by default. It is pinned as the 3rd icon from the left on the taskbar, after Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. You can easily set up Windows Media Player by opening it and choosing Recommended Settings. If you cannot find it, run a search for it under the Start Menu.

Windows Media Player as the Default Media Player in Windows 7

Having difficulty opening videos with Windows Media Player? Under the Start Menu access "Default Programs" -> "Set program access and computer defaults". Choosing Microsoft Windows will enable Windows Media Player as your default media player.

Is Windows Media Player uninstalled or deactivated?
You may not have, for one reason or another, Windows Media Player installed in Windows any longer.

In Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off is displayed on the left-hand pane. You can also perform a search for "Windows features" in the Start Menu, which will lead you to this option. Under Media Features, you will see a drop-down. Either Windows Media Player will be checked as on or off. To use it as a Windows feature, you will want to make sure that the box is checked in this area.

Back
Top Bottom