Windows 7 can't register dll for use with ActiveXObject

Discussion in 'Programming and Scripting' started by mrtibs, Sep 21, 2010.

1. mrtibs

mrtibs New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I built a .NET application and I'm trying to register it as a dll on my new Windows 7 machine and use it from a JavaScript page.

I made sure I specified a GUID and I made it COM visible in the code. I registered it with "regasm MyAx.dll /codebase /tlb" and I received no error messages (in fact I did receive a warning about requiring a strong name, and I did do that, but it still didn't help me). I then registered it with gacutil.

I'm trying to use the class from a Javascript ActiveXObject call in a web page, and Explorer keeps complaining: "Automation server can't create object". I guess this is because the system can't find the dll.

I performed the same steps on my Windows Vista machine and it worked. Anyone has any ideas why this doesn't work?

2. Josephur

Josephur Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    My guess is perhaps new security in IE8/IE9 (if you have 9 installed)... or a combination of IE/7 security. Can you try running it on IE7 with the site ran from in a trusted zone? Is the dll signed? Is the signature valid?.. 7/IE8 might care about that more. Just my 2 cents..