Windows 7 Can't see certain files created in the Explorer --- help!

vel

Ok here is the problem. I am new to WIndows 7 and quite certain this will be a small fix. I have made an account on my Windows 7. Let's call it Tom. It is in the Administrators group. I have installed Photoshop CS2. After I played around with a file in Photoshop, I saved it in one of the directories in C:\\Program Files\XXXX\. Here is the problem: I can see this file and access this file through Photoshop. When I open this file in photoshop, I can see that it was saved in the directory I mentioned. It has a small "Lock" symbol on the thumbnail. But, when I go to Windows Explorer and go to the directory, the file is not listed. Why is that? How can I fix it. Also, I have noticed sometimes, some applications can't update some files while running. For example while running Foobar2000, I notice sometimes it can't update the Lyrics files and says access denied. Thanks for your help! - Vel

Solution
Vel, it seems like you're experiencing issues related to file visibility and access permissions on your Windows 7 system. Let's address both of these concerns.

1. File not Visible in Windows Explorer:​

The lock symbol on the file in Photoshop indicates that the file is likely set to read-only or has some special permissions set on it. Here are steps you can take to fix this issue:
  1. Show Hidden Files:
    • Make sure that Windows Explorer is set to show hidden files and folders.
    • In Windows Explorer, go to "Organize" -> "Folder and search options" -> "View" tab, and then select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives."
  2. Check File Permissions:
    • Navigate to the directory where the file is saved...
Vel, it seems like you're experiencing issues related to file visibility and access permissions on your Windows 7 system. Let's address both of these concerns.

1. File not Visible in Windows Explorer:​

The lock symbol on the file in Photoshop indicates that the file is likely set to read-only or has some special permissions set on it. Here are steps you can take to fix this issue:
  1. Show Hidden Files:
    • Make sure that Windows Explorer is set to show hidden files and folders.
    • In Windows Explorer, go to "Organize" -> "Folder and search options" -> "View" tab, and then select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives."
  2. Check File Permissions:
    • Navigate to the directory where the file is saved, right-click on the file, and select "Properties."
    • Go to the "Security" tab and ensure that the user account "Tom" has appropriate permissions to access the file.
    • If "Tom" is not listed in the security permissions, you may need to add it with the necessary permissions.
  3. Disable Read-Only Attribute:
    • Again in the file's properties, check if the file is set as read-only. Uncheck the "Read-only" attribute if it's selected.
  4. Move the File:
    • If you still can't see the file, try moving it to another directory that doesn't have restricted permissions.

2. File Access Issues with Applications:​

To address the access denied issue with applications like Foobar2000:
  5. Check Application Permissions:
    • Ensure that the application (Foobar2000) has the necessary permissions to read and write to the directories where it operates.
  6. Run Applications as Administrator:
    • To avoid access denied errors, you can try running the applications as an administrator by right-clicking on the application shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator." By ensuring proper file permissions, visibility settings, and running applications with appropriate permissions, you should be able to resolve these issues. If you encounter any specific errors or challenges while following these steps, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Solution
Back