Windows Vista can't send email with attachments

poorrich

I can receive email with attachments with no problem. I can send email without attachments with no problem. Whenever I attempt to send an email with any attachment, the system times out and gives me an error message

"Task 'mail.comcast.net - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' "

It does not seem to be the program - Outlook - since I tried another email program and got the same results. My wife sends emails with no problem on another computer in the same network and same ISP.

My gut tells me it is windows Vista Home Premium since it all started with the new computer.

Hi poorrich

I think your problem might be connected to the size of attachment you are trying to email.
Is it photos you are trying to send or large files of some sort?
Most email smtp servers will display a failed message timeout if you are trying to send too much in one email.
Try sending several emails with small attachments to see if they are successful.
Its nothing to do with Vista as the same thing can happen with XP.

It doesn't seem to matter what size the attachment is. I had no problems with the former computer with XP. It only started with this computer and Vista.

google for
incredimail
free download.
it setsup automatically with the servers.
it builds on the windows mail.
you should send mail then with atachments

This can also happen if the web mail is corrupted and some part of the web mail is not working so you can try out the following steps ...

Go to the outbox directory in Windows Explorer. The location will be:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folders\Outbox
and with WinMail closed delete all the files.
Then try repairing the database.
Run the cmd prompt as Admin and copy and then in there
esentutl /p "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
Mail\windowsmail.msmessagestore"
Fill in the %USERPROFILE% to match your profile (e.g. c:\users\nrc)
Then reopen WinMail and see if that fixes it.

I found a comcast website "http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Emailtop17686&cookieattempt=1" That gave explicit instructions on the setup, and some of my settings were incorrect. I made some minor adjustments and everything now works fine. Thank you all for your time and effort.
Poorrich

Make sure the cable from the computer to your router is plugged into port 1, 2 or 3 and not port 4. I had exactly the problem you have described and it was because the cable was plugged into port 4. Apparently port 4 is for linking routers or some such. Any way as soon as I plugged the cable into port 1 I could send emails again with no difficulty.

regards

Mon

Back