Windows 10 Cant update

James1258

My computer wont install any of the cumulative windows 10 updates and it is still on build 14393.0

I have tried the microsoft registry fix and I tried downloading manually and it still doesnt work.

I dont know if the WU file will help but I uploaded it just in case.

Thank you for helping

EDIT: Updated to 14393.82 (KB3176934)

Attachments

• WU.txt
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,259
Last edited:
New WU file after installing (KB3176934) and failing to install KB3176938

Attachments

• WU.txt
    1.9 MB · Views: 620
Have you tried running the Windows Update troubleshooter? Control Panel > Troubleshooting > System and Security > Troubleshoot Windows Updates

Try clearing out the update cache
  • Press [Windows key + r]
  • Type Services.msc
  • Stop Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Updates if they are running
  • Open explorer and Navigate to C:\Windows and delete the directory SoftwareDistribution
  • Restart the WindowsUpdate service
  • Try and install the update again

Try clearing out the update cache
  • Press [Windows key + r]
  • Type Services.msc
  • Stop Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Updates if they are running
  • Open explorer and Navigate to C:\Windows and delete the directory SoftwareDistribution
  • Restart the WindowsUpdate service
  • Try and install the update again
I tried it but it still says failed to install

Do you have any other ideas?

Hi,
If neemo's suggestions don't do the trick, you may have to do some more aggressive software repairs as well as hardware testing. First, your AU update was from Aug. 2nd; over 2 months ago. You then updated to one of the intermediate AU updates in late August or early September. Take a look here, at this screenshot showing the latest AU version; v1607 b14393.321. Since you don't have that you don't have
the latest version.
W10 AU v1607 b14393.321 InfoBox.PNG

Next, go into your Windows Update history, and this is a screenshot of what your update history should look like for the October 11th updates as here:
W10 AU v1607 Oct2016 Update History2 BIGBEARJEDI.png

If you don't have the above 3 updates in your Update History, there is something wrong with your computer or your Windows or both! :skull:

What are the hardware specs on your computer?

You could try to run standard windows repair utilities including CHKDSK, SFC, DISM, and W10 IN-PLACE UPGRADE. This has helped other people suffering from unwanted changes due to the new AU updates which are coming out new every 1-2 weeks from MS.:waah:

In the meantime, I'd suggest that you consider making an Image Backup of your system to an external hard drive using one of the free Image backup softwares we have tested on W10 such as Macrium Reflect, Acronis TrueImage, and EASETodo.

Since the new AU's are causing so much havoc in W10 systems, this is a really good idea and several of us here who are W10 Insider Testers we use this on our Test Machines, so we are only a couple of hours away from putting our machines back in good order by rolling our machines back to the pre-AU state. This is often required as System Restore doesn't seem to do a good job of unscrambling damage done to windows by the AU udpates.:scratch:

In the meantime you can take a look at these 2 methods for disabling unwanted changes to your drivers from the AU here:
How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930#bookmark-1607

Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ
https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization

We are still experimenting with these 2 methods, but they are slowing down the AU updates coming in, but not totally stopping them, which no one has figured out how to do yet. This is why I'm recommending that you take the extra effort to create Image Backups of your system.
In the meantime, if none of our tips resolve your problem, you may have to consider doing a Clean Install using bootable W10 DVD or USB media via ISO file from Microsoft's website here: Windows 10

Please post back and LIKE this Post if this solution worked for you so we can share that information with our other forum users who might have the same problem. Thanks.:)

Hope that provides you with some help.
Best,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi,
If neemo's suggestions don't do the trick, you may have to do some more aggressive software repairs as well as hardware testing. First, your AU update was from Aug. 2nd; over 2 months ago. You then updated to one of the intermediate AU updates in late August or early September. Take a look here, at this screenshot showing the latest AU version; v1607 b14393.321. Since you don't have that you don't have
the latest version.
View attachment 33754

Next, go into your Windows Update history, and this is a screenshot of what your update history should look like for the October 11th updates as here:
View attachment 33756

If you don't have the above 3 updates in your Update History, there is something wrong with your computer or your Windows or both! :skull:

What are the hardware specs on your computer?

You could try to run standard windows repair utilities including CHKDSK, SFC, DISM, and W10 IN-PLACE UPGRADE. This has helped other people suffering from unwanted changes due to the new AU updates which are coming out new every 1-2 weeks from MS.:waah:

In the meantime, I'd suggest that you consider making an Image Backup of your system to an external hard drive using one of the free Image backup softwares we have tested on W10 such as Macrium Reflect, Acronis TrueImage, and EASETodo.

Since the new AU's are causing so much havoc in W10 systems, this is a really good idea and several of us here who are W10 Insider Testers we use this on our Test Machines, so we are only a couple of hours away from putting our machines back in good order by rolling our machines back to the pre-AU state. This is often required as System Restore doesn't seem to do a good job of unscrambling damage done to windows by the AU udpates.:scratch:

In the meantime you can take a look at these 2 methods for disabling unwanted changes to your drivers from the AU here:
How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930#bookmark-1607

Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ
https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization

We are still experimenting with these 2 methods, but they are slowing down the AU updates coming in, but not totally stopping them, which no one has figured out how to do yet. This is why I'm recommending that you take the extra effort to create Image Backups of your system.
In the meantime, if none of our tips resolve your problem, you may have to consider doing a Clean Install using bootable W10 DVD or USB media via ISO file from Microsoft's website here: Windows 10

Please post back and LIKE this Post if this solution worked for you so we can share that information with our other forum users who might have the same problem. Thanks.:)

Hope that provides you with some help.
Best,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
I cleaned install and it is still happening. I do not have the software removal tools installed, but I have the adobe one installed and the cumulative update keeps failing for me.

My hardware is
  • i7-4790K
  • 16GB G.Skill RAM
  • ASRock Z97 Extreme4
  • XFX R9 390X DD
  • 750W EVGA PSU
  • 850 EVO SSD

Back
Top Bottom