Windows 10 Can´t upgrade Win. 8.1 pro ti Win 10

kimschips

Hi,

I have tried to upgrade Win.8.1 to Win 10 last year (before 29 july) and now with windows 10 (assitive technologies)
My Win. 8.1 is Danish and 32bit version.
Windows 10 seems to install correctly by using "windows 10 assistant" but fails around 29% when doing final upgrades and then PC recover back to Win.8.1

Please help.
Best regards
Kim

The upgrade process has never been really all that good. I would backup any data and do a clean install.

Yes, a Clean Install is required. It's also prudent to make sure you run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST as here:Get Windows 10 app - Check Compatibility Report for Windows 10 to look for outdated, obsolete, or incompatible hardware, apps, and drivers from your 8.1 computer that won't work in W10 unless they are first removed. On occasion, upon completing the Clean Install, SOME of those apps may be able to run after reinstall. This is true with some apps such as TrendMicro RUBotted.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Yes, a Clean Install is required. It's also prudent to make sure you run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST as here:Get Windows 10 app - Check Compatibility Report for Windows 10 to look for outdated, obsolete, or incompatible hardware, apps, and drivers from your 8.1 computer that won't work in W10 unless they are first removed. On occasion, upon completing the Clean Install, SOME of those apps may be able to run after reinstall. This is true with some apps such as TrendMicro RUBotted.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
Hello thank you for reply, can I get the "compatility test" from windows 8.1 store without running the in installation?

This is what I have tried without luck:
Stopped the windows update service
Completed scan with Ccleaner
turned off wifi when download for windows 10 upgrade was finnish
upgrade stopped every time on 32% final updates (error in a non defined page...) and then my windows 8.1 installation is recovered

PLease help with other inputs?

Hi again Kim,
I got your reply, thanks, and you're welcome. We're glad to provide help!:up:

No, you cannot get the Compatibility Test from Windows app store, as it's part of the W10 installation program. The link I gave you from TenForums gives you instructions on how to run the Compatibility Test during the W10 installation. It allows you to run the Test and read the results report and then decline or agree to continue installing the W10 itself onto your computer's hard drive. It's not available as a standalone app. This goes along with the suggestion that neem and I both gave you of scrapping the upgrade method, as it's not reliable and will often fail if you have marginal hardware that's failing or failed and you don't wish to test it, pay to have it tested, or just aren't comfortable with troubleshooting your own computer. That's why we both urged you to perform a Clean Install on your computer! In the majority of cases (assuming you have no faulty hardware), the Clean Install will work to get W10 onto your computer.:applaud: This also assumes that you are able and willing to resolve all issues found after running the Compatibility Test. In about 98% of the cases, once you can do this W10 will install on your computer also assuming it's a modern-era computer, according to Microsoft, that's one that's been built in 2009 or later which yours appears to be, especially if it came with W8.1 already pre-loaded from the factory on it.

You can continue to spin your wheels on finding a software solution for a problem that's typically not resolvable with expert computer skill and knowledge. So, you came here for free advice from experts, and there isn't any tech forum out there to get better expert advice from than WF. I suggest you consider following our advice to resolve the problem. It's your computer and totally up to you no matter which way you decide to go.

<<<BBJ>>>

Success!
I manage to upgrade to Windows 10 ("free edition" by using assitive technologies)by doing this:
Logged in as Admin.
Updated all drivers by using Driver Booster 4.1 (had to manually update my HD 4000 graphic driver)
(do not use update driver in device manager, it just display all drivers are updated)
Disabled windows update
Completed Scan with Ccleaner. (temporary files / regedit)
Checked that "automatically page size for all drivers was disabled"
I think the problem was related to all my old drivers.

Thanks again.

Back