Windows 7 Catastrophe

weardalered

I was running windows 7 with the system on one HD and all user profiles on another HD.

However, my profiles disk crashed.

I am using Acronis True Image 2011 and have successfully backed up and restored other partitions OK.

However, despite Acronis successfully validating my backups it will not restore my profiles, throwing up the error that " the number of copied sectors differs from the counted (0x70001)"

My question is this, if I have to re-build my computer, is there a way of re-installing Windows 7 without losing all of my installed programs?

Thanks

Can you mount the Acronis image and restore individual files?

Unfortunately not.
I am using the Acronis boot disk as the PC "cannot find any profiles".

As I backed up the profiles partition as a "disk /partition" backup I cannot restore individual files, apparently.

You should be able to "mount" the partition under Acronis and browse the individual files and folders.

You can - just tried it.

Smart a**e :)

Are you doing this within Windows or as I am doing using the Acronis boot disk?

My problem then lays with the restore error.

The backup hs been successfully validated with Acronis, but the restore fails.

I will try the files method later and report back on here.

Thanks for your help.

Smart a**e :smile:
I know!

Just tried it from the boot disk and yes - you can browse to a full partition backup (including incrementals) and mount it to recover individual files and folders. I am now on TI 2013 but I'm sure that feature has been there on many previous incarnations.

My other option is to mount a blank HD which I have, install W7 onto it and install Acronis.

Then try a restore from within W7.
Thanks

Being a Smart a**e that would have been my next suggestion - the condition seems to be infectious ;)

Being a Smart a**e that would have been my next suggestion - the condition seems to be infectious ;)

OK so things are no going quite according to plan.

Let me state that when I use the word "Profile" I mean User Account.

So, I have 4 Profiles to restore.

I am actually able to login with one profile, but the others throw the error about the profile service is unable to log me in etc...

I also created a new account, which showed in the Control Panel > Accounts section, but did not generate a profile in the Profile directory or anywhere else ??????

The Profile Service says it is running.

I have also run Regedit and checked the Profiles are OK.

ie Remove any .bak extensions

set RefCount = 0
State Value = 0

Tonight, I shall be mostly restoring my System partition and seeing if that changes anything.

Ok i now seems to be a registry hing.

Cannot creae a new user account

It only creates the icon but no accoun setings whasoever.

Ok i now seems to be a registry hing.

Cannot creae a new user account

It only creates the icon but no accoun setings whasoever.

Ok so I can now create new accounts and it will create the user profile correctly.

Can I now just copy everything from the old account into the new account?

By this I mean copy all the hidden directories and files, with the exception of the NTUSER, NTUSER.LOG and the ntuser.ini files?

Would this work?

Back