Windows 7 CCleaner

aikma

Hello Everyone,

Have you heard of CCleaner ? If you already know, then well done. CCleaner is a system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused system files from your system. Allowing Windows to run faster and free up space in your hard drive. It also cleans traces of online activity, such as History, Cookes ect. There is also a Registry Cleaner tool in CCleaner. I would not use this if I were you. If you install a new program and use ccleaner to see the registry issues. CCleaner might delete the wrong registry keys.

Beware of that.

I have used CC for years, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the program. In Fact CC cleaner will make a backup of what you are deleting from registry in case you take out something that causes a problem.
A user should not fear this program. I also use it to clean up system restore points it also allows you to save cookies you want to keep while deleting the ones you do not want

I will agree with suoer sarge. I us Ccleaner and AWC with consideration for what they can do. They both make backups, which is a saving grace. Over some years, I have never, to my knowledge, experienced problems as a result of their use. Nor have I heard of such problems among my friends, customers or family. There are numerous reports on these pages of various problems with reg cleaners but no real proof that they directly relate to their use.

I have used ccleaner for a few years now and found that it is one of the best out there with the exception of the registry cleaner. I have also experienced trouble at a couple of different times with the registry cleaner. I still use ccleaner but found another registry cleaner that works for me and as of yet have had no further problems with my registry.

I have used ccleaner for a few years now and found that it is one of the best out there with the exception of the registry cleaner. I have also experienced trouble at a couple of different times with the registry cleaner. I still use ccleaner but found another registry cleaner that works for me and as of yet have had no further problems with my registry.
So which reg cleaner works best for you? Just curious.

I use no Registry Cleaner, what so ever. You shouldn't be using Registry Cleaners, they can remove unknown registry keys belonging to the operating system. Once that key is gone, your computer will have problems. Or if you remove other registry keys, then you might have problems with doing updates for certain programs and some programs might not unistall properly, or it might not unistall. It happened to me once. I had to reinstall Windows 7 again.

Just be aware !

Duh, I have used registry cleaners for years, any good registry cleaner keeps a back up of what it cleaned so if you need to you can re-install the items back in the registry. Most people I know have used CC Cleaner for years without problems. This is also why I do a full backup of my system weekly.
You do not need to fear CC Cleaner nor try to scare others about CC Cleaner

It's true, Microsoft and my HP have told me that I shouldn't use Registry Cleaners, they can remove registry keys that are not recognised. It could be a system file. If it removed a system file. You will face problems with your computer. Go and ask Microsoft, and your computer manufacture. They will say the same information as what I said.
Who knows, the back-up tool for registry cleaner might not even work properly. And I'm not scaring people actually. I'm warning them. Because I had this problem with one of my software's because the registry cleaner deleted an unknown file belonging to my software.

Regards,

Aikma

The subject has been repeatidly raised in several threads. Maybe they should all be merged, edited and pinned for reference. There are contrasting opinions towrds both end of use, it seems. I can only qualify my earlier post with reference to a previous entry here (N0.22)
http://windows7forums.com/windows-vista-discussion/13285-best-registry-cleaner-vista-3.html

But, I would add that any attempts to clean the registry, safe or not, will not result in any discernable improvement in the OS performance - unless a bad entry has been placed in the registry by third party software.

Just need to add alittle. The blame for malfunction could, theoretically, be put on the shoulders of the user in most cases. As I previously stated, most decent reg cleaners offer a backup facility, prior to cleaning. If the user is too impatient to take advantage of that, then, god bless.

Hi Drew. On a lighter note. (This is in fun!!) Are you acquainted with Mr. Jingle of Charles Dickens fame?

It's true, Microsoft and my HP have told me that I shouldn't use Registry Cleaners, they can remove registry keys that are not recognised. It could be a system file. If it removed a system file. You will face problems with your computer. Go and ask Microsoft, and your computer manufacture. They will say the same information as what I said.
Who knows, the back-up tool for registry cleaner might not even work properly. And I'm not scaring people actually. I'm warning them. Because I had this problem with one of my software's because the registry cleaner deleted an unknown file belonging to my software.

Regards,

Aikma

I don't know what registry cleaner gave you a problem, but I can almost guarantee it wasn't CC. I have used it since it came out over many systems and platforms, and never once has it damaged a system or program file. Even it did it performs a backup, so just put the file back. With their battery of lawyers, I don't pay a lot of attention what MS says, and I AM my system's manufacturer, and I say CCleaner is safe.

BTW, I have no connection with CC other than a user, and I don't have any idea who wrote or publishes the program.

I don't know what registry cleaner gave you a problem, but I can almost guarantee it wasn't CC. I have used it since it came out over many systems and platforms, and never once has it damaged a system or program file. Even it did it performs a backup, so just put the file back. With their battery of lawyers, I don't pay a lot of attention what MS says, and I AM my system's manufacturer, and I say CCleaner is safe.

BTW, I have no connection with CC other than a user, and I don't have any idea who wrote or publishes the program.
I totally agree, MS will tell you this and you had a problem it is easier on them to blame the cleaner than to actually figure out the problem. If you had had a good cleaner like CC all you would have had to do was re-install the registry item/s you deleted from the backup that is created. I keep the backup registry items for 30 days if nothing goes wrong I delete them if 30 days or older.

Also if you use a program like Macrium Reflect Free Edition and do a complete system Backup weekly or monthly all you would have to do is reinstall your latest back up. It takes me less than 30 minutes to re-install a backup image in case I screw something up. I do weekly backups.

I have been playing around and using home computers since 1993.

RegistryBooster as an alternative to CCleaner

Hello Everyone,

Have you heard of CCleaner ? If you already know, then well done. CCleaner is a system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused system files from your system. Allowing Windows to run faster and free up space in your hard drive. It also cleans traces of online activity, such as History, Cookes ect. There is also a Registry Cleaner tool in CCleaner. I would not use this if I were you. If you install a new program and use ccleaner to see the registry issues. CCleaner might delete the wrong registry keys.

Beware of that.

I have evaluated most registry cleaner software and am willing to endorse Uniblue RegistryBooster. This is good software. It is worth it, and works very well. Of course it comes with a price, but anything that works well usually does. CCleaner is a light program that is very well-designed, but does not do the job as good as RegistryBooster in my opinion.

You can try RegistryBooster here.

Support from RegistryBooster purchases goes to help finance the website as well.

It's true, Microsoft and my HP have told me that I shouldn't use Registry Cleaners, they can remove registry keys that are not recognised. Go and ask Microsoft, and your computer manufacture. They will say the same information as what I said.
Aikma

I have read this statement many times over the years. In Win 98 days, Microsoft did, with justification, disapprove of their use. However (imo) the remark is now hackneyed and untrue. I would not be ashamed to be corrected, but would like any reader to point me to a page where Microsoft have currently said that. On the contrary, they have even, in recent times, pointed to cleaning software of which they approve. If they did, on the otherhand, disapprove, would they have published this, from one of their leading designers, Mark Russinovich.
Mark's Blog : Registry Junk: A Windows Fact of Life

But any registry cleaning programs,including CCleaner can be dangerous to your computer andt here is also no evidence that cleaning the registry improves the performance of the OS.

One misuderstanding is that users tend to think cleaning the registry will make it smaller and more efficient. But what is happens is gaps are created in the registry’s file, and the registry remains the same size.. Fundamentally, this means that, although they are spaces, the whole registry is still being read by programs, and does not help to speed up anything. Furthermore, the gaps will be found by new data, which will only help to fragment the registry This will actually slow down the operations, not speed them up. Registry cleaning will, most certainly, not improve your system speed. Even after removing left over keys, I doubt you will find a difference.

With this in mind, it can be seen that, the more you clean your registry, the more it will become fragmented. This will mean a slower system, opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.
Any cleaner can miss rogue entries and, at the same time, remove entries that are in use or marked for use.
The best registry cleaning is that done manually, as I reiterated in a link to an earlier post::

(ReQuote "When I install or reinstall Windows oS, whatever flavour, my first project is customisation . I then install all my software and customise it. This whole process is tedious but worth the effort. I finish up with about 28 Gbs of used space.
During the installations, I also install "Advanced System Care" and "Ccleaner". Right. Ready for action. I run the Microsoft disk cleaner, and clean all the functions on the drop menu. I then run AWC on its defaults, and Ccleaner ditto. To date I have never had a problem with this, but it may depend on your particular hardware and software installations.
That is the first and last time I use a cleaner, apart from the disk cleaner. From then on, whenever I have installed unknown software, and uninstalled it, I open the registry and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER - software and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - software, and manually delete any items which may have been left over from poor uninstalls.)

If a user is nervous about this, leave it entirely alone. If you are subjected to malware attacks, and have no idea how to search manually for them, then there is a darn good case for a "one off" use of a reg cleaner.

I lost a bunch of system tool shortcuts to a registry cleaner once. Defrag, System Restore, Disk Cleanup and some of my Administrative tools were missing. A lot of experts advise against them. I don't use them.

I think CCleaner is good. I have used it for 6 months and have not faced any problems. Certainly, you should backup your registry regularly.

I also use Ccleaner but as with any of these tools one must make a backup if your going to start 'meddlin' with the registry.. It's just common sense..

Back
Top Bottom