Windows 7 CD problem

Landers

Honorable Member
I have had a problem with my cd accepting different types of cd's. I purchased some 4x 4.7gb cd-rw disk that I was assured would work on my newer model HP laptop. I had trouble getting a new cd's to format at first, but somehow got one to format and select data. Now my cd works fine with the 4.7gb cd-rw disk, but it no longer accepts the 12x 700mb cd-rw disk. Just sit there clicking over and over, sometimes popping open the cd drive and asking you to insert a new disk. I have lost the ability to format 12x 700mb cd-rw cd's.

OK, just to make sure we are talking about the same things. You had trouble with the 4x DVDs not being able to format? I suppose I don't format mine, if I am using something to write to one, when the autorun box pops up, I just tell it to conduct no operation. Then the formatting is handled by the utility itself.

But 4x DVDs haven't been used that much recently, and may not work well on a newer DVD drive. If it isn't working, you may try if you have not already, completely shutdown the system and then reboot.

The problem is that the format autorun box pops up doesn't ever pop up. Maybe your right. It can read the existing 700 cd's but can't format new ones.

Are you just using Windows to write the Media?

Did you do anything special to allow the drive to work with your DVDs?

Since it is a new computer, some things may not be appropriate, and hopefully doing a cold boot will reset your drive. If that doesn't work, you might try uninstalling it and removing all drivers at the same time.

A firmware upgrade may be available, but since it is new, that would not normally be a factor.

Back
Top Bottom