Windows 7 change icon

so i'm trying to change the icon of a particular file type.
ie, pdf icon is gone for some reason so i want to put one there.

all i can find on the net is 'open up file types manager' BUT how on earth is that done?

am using win7 x64 home premium.

Hello liquidmonkey,

Try here, see if any of it helps;
how to change a file type windows 7 - Google Search

To just change the Icon of a file;
Right click on the file, click "Properties", then select either "Change Icon" located at the bottom of the window or select "Customize" located in the "Tab Bar" @ top, then select "Change Icon"

Hope this helps

Don

properties for a FOLDER show that an icon can be changed but this is not the case when viewing properties for a file such as a pdf or jpg file.
its really weird :(

thanks for the suggestions though :)

THANKS! that looks like what i needed :)

a bit shocked that windows does not have a utility for this though. maybe in win8?

AceInfinity

Microsoft MVP
All of those file extension icon's have stored information about which icon to display for each file type in the registry. It's not a Windows based thing, that icon for the specific filetype is determined on an APPLICATION level. Depending on which default program you have set to a file extension will determine what icon gets displayed for that file extension because it's been added by the program itself, and not your Windows operating system.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.