Change of Volume Label

How do change Volume Label? Message shows "Access denied"


Essential Member
Premium Supporter
Can you give a few more details - Which volume (or do you mean Folder labels)
It is not normally a problem -right click and rename.

I want to change the volume label of my partition (wrongly named 500Gb_I to 500Gb_F, which is the real partion on my 2 hard disks.But Win7 shows ACCESS DENIED

P.S. I use Total Commander for ALL explorer type functions. Its a million times better than Windows Explorer. I also use it to rename partitions etc...

Last edited:


Essential Member
Premium Supporter
Sorry. Cannot help. I dont use total commander as windows explorer does all I require. In my customised view (Show drive letters) I would not need the choice of name you are using -it shows the drive letter.


Honorable Member
I renamed mine no problem using WE. U might stoop to WE and try it, then u would know if it is a TC problem.
Also, it shouldn't matter, but if u are not logged on as admin u might try right clicking and selecting RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR


Essential Member
Premium Supporter
Perhaps, if you cannot do it with Windows explorer, you could temporarily uninstall Total Commander and change the name, then reinstall?

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.