Windows 7 Changing Boot

Drew

Banned
FYI:
This is due to folks asking about changing things in a duel-boot scenario. An OS was installed then, another, hence the dual-boot... we'll call them 1 & 2. NOW, they want OS2 to exist and boot w/out OS1
The following is a way to do it:

I had a dual-boot, Windows 7 x86 & x64. x86 was the 1st OS installed & held the Boot.

Using bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:the boot was moved to the x64's parition. This is via cmd on the (now) 'preferred' machine, where the Boot is to be.

Link Removed - Invalid URL holding the x86 was disconnected, to confirm the x64 would, now, boot w/out the x86 in the picture. (optional)

x86 partition deleted & formatted.

In msconfig all boot paths, except the x64, deleted.

Can & may use the, now, free partition for Windows 8; prefer, not virtual. (but, that's an aside to this discussion)

Anyway, the above is how it's done. Quite easy & simple , really. And my 32-bit Windows 7 is no more. :razz:
Regards,
Drew

Last edited:
Moved that @ the onset to OS2. Notice, boot functionality was checked (& proven) by booting into OS2 w/out the OS1 drive connected to the M/B. And the OS1 partition completely renewed.

Last edited:
Moved that @ the onset to OS2. Notice, boot functionality was checked (& proven) by booting into OS2 w/out the OS1 drive connected to the M/B. And the OS1 partition completely renewed.
I guess what you are saying is that you moved the bootmgr from OS1 to OS2. I am still not sure though how that cleans up the MBR (Steps 4 and 5 in my tutorial).

Would be the part in msconfig under Boot tab, deleted all boot paths except the one to (what was) OS2... this, also, makes the black OS choices screen be gone.

The steps work, nice & clean & 100% proper, desired, functionality. When done, 1st had just Win7 x64 in a 'normal' set up & w/ no problems. Now, have dual-boot Win8 & Win7 w/ Win8 where Win7 x86 used to be. Everything working very nicely.

Sounds good. When I applied a similar procedure, I still had the black selection screen. Then I applied the procedure described and made the tutorial so that others can use it.

I didn't know about, hadn't seen the tutorial when or before what I did & passed on to others. More than 1 way to skin a cat... (?)

Now, having just burnt the ISO to DVD, I'm about to install Win8 Beta (no more DP) & dual-boot Win8 & Win7, both x64.

I didn't know about, hadn't seen the tutorial when or before what I did & passed on to others. More than 1 way to skin a cat... (?)

Now, having just burnt the ISO to DVD, I'm about to install Win8 Beta (no more DP) & dual-boot Win8 & Win7, both x64.
Watch out that you really can get a dual boot. I never had the chance to select anything. It just rolled along and upgraded my Windows7. But since I am always careful, I had made an image before mucking around with it. So it was no problem to get things back in order.

I now installed it in Virtual Box where I have no real problem - just cannot get full screen resolution but the window is at about 1400x900 which is ok.

No worries, I have a just peachy dual-boot set-up. Did the same thing w/ XP to Vista & Vista to Win7 & now Win7 to Win8 … For a while I had triple-boot (Vista, Win7 x86 & Win7 x64) kinda old hat, now. The choice screen this time , w/ 8, is AFTER it's seeming to go to 8 & it's green not, black. Plus, of course, you have to select "Custom Install" & the drive to be used.

I never got those options when I tried to install from the DVD - only when I installed directly from the ISO file in vBox. I think I'll burn a new DVD and try on another system.

Hmmmm… All the way through my Beta-testing Vista, 7 & now, 8 have burnt ISOs to DVD & always had the drive location choice window & the Upgrade/Custom choice window after hitting Install Now. Maybe depends on the source of the files you are DLing. Do not use non-Microsoft sites.

Back