Windows 8 Changing pathways

enchantedscribbler

I have an HP laptop that came with Windows 8 installed. One of the automatic updates ran and changed pathways to my files. If I click on Libraries, my documents, music, and pics that were there before the upgrade are not there now. I have to click c:/users/myusername/ then whichever folder I'm looking for. Is there a way to get that back so all my files go to one set of library folders instead of having a new set?

The update almost crashed the whole laptop. Also corrupted my save points and had to do a new restore point once the system was finally brought back up. I'm tracking down how to fix my app store tile now. The update also deleted all my tiles I had on my start screen.

It sounds like something might have messed with your user profiles. Had you moved any Windows folders to another location? There are threads about repairing user profiles, if they are involved, but I have no personal experience.

Hi

As I understand it the files in your libraries are just links to the actual files stored in your users folder, or in some cases elsewhere.
So you always had the set of files in your Users folder but didn't access them that way.

At least on my computer when I click on an image in my pictures folder and look at the address it shows the file to be in, Users/My Name/Pictures, not actually in the Libraries Pictures folder.

I copied a folder of pictures to my Users Pictures folder and it appeared in my Libraries Pictures folder at the same time.
So I'm not sure why that isn't happening for you.

Ok I found this...

In File Explorer right click on the Libraries Folder, and select "Restore Default Libraries" and see if that helps.
If that doesn't work let up know.

Mike

I'll try that. Do I need to reboot afterward? I was looking at my music files, trying to load some new music and saw a pathway for a temp file. It looks like the default temp file was changed. Will restoring that default help with that in any way?

Hi

I really don't know about what restoring the defaults does exactly, but I assume that it will restore the links to the default Windows settings. I don't think you would have to reboot unless is asks you to, but I would do it anyway.

I'm a big fan of rebooting to fix things. LOL

Mike

Back
Top Bottom