Windows 7 character map

nkoss

I am trying to run the "character map" program that is a standard part of Windows. I get an error..."C:\windows\system32\GetUName.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error". Is there a safe place to download a new copy of the dll and once downloaded, how do I replace the copy that is there? The system does not let me (I'm an administrator) even change the name, let alone try to move the file elsewhere or delete it. Is there a way to get the file from my original DVD? When I put the DVD in, it just wants to do an install of the system and I certainly don't want to do that, just a single file.

Thanks for any ideas....

If the file is really bad, you might be able to replace it by opening an administrative command prompt and typing sfc /scannow

It may find and replace the file. Do you happen to know how it might have gotten messed up? Are you are starting the character map from All Programs, Accessories, System tools?

Thanks for the suggestions...

MBAM found no problems

Running as administrator...
sfc /scannow gave the message..."Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." It gave a long log file that was incomprehensible!!

I am running the 64 bitWin 7 Pro

I have no idea how it got messed up. This is the first time I tried to use it. Yes, I started it as you said.

If you want to know what it found, go to the Windows\Logs\CBS folder and copy the CBS.log to your desktop. It logs the SFC scans and will show what files were corrupted. It is a large file but the errors should show up for the day you ran the scan, which will be near the bottom.

If you find the file you can try a "restore previous" but it probably will not work. I will have to do some research on how to replace a corrupt file otherwise, but maybe someone else will know.

I just found this Microsoft site, which shows things I certainly did not know.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help...attached is the part of the CBS.log file that I think you refer to. Can you make anything out of it?

I will look at that MS site...at least the name is promising....

Attachments

• xxx.txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 399
Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"normnfkd.nlp" of mscorlib

Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"normidna.nlp" of mscorlib

This component was referenced by [l:156{78}]"Package_2_for_KB2446710

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\normnfkd.nlp

Since I do not have the problem, all I can do is guess. But it appears something has gotten out of sync as far as files actually installed and those Windows thinks need to be installed. Since it seems the files in question may have been part of the KB mentioned, I would uninstall that KB. After doing so, do not let Windows update reinstall it until you have a chance to run SFC again to see what happens.

To uninstall the KB, open Windows Update, bottom left click on Installed Updates. Find KB 2446710, right click and select uninstall.

What happens next will have to depend on what you discover.

OK...I uninstalled the KB, rebooted, then SFC, then did the findstr as suggested by the MS site you pointed to. Attached are the results. There seem to be a very large number of corrupt files that Windows cannot fix. The error always seems to a "hash mismatch". Is there anyway to tell Windows to get the files from the original DVD? I'm pretty much at the end of my knowledge here :frown:

Attachments

• sfcdetails.txt
    104.6 KB · Views: 708
If you really have that many files that cannot be repaired, you must have something really messing with your system. If you do not have some idea what might be going on, perhaps davehc is correct about the virus. Malwarebytes is normally pretty good, but not guaranteed.

I would suggest you do a Repair Install of Windows 7. You will be able to keep your data and installed programs, but the Windows part will be redone.

A Repair Install is where you start an update from within your Win 7 install and install over your current install. I would back up everything I could, but keep in mind to try to not use it if you do not have to.

If that many files are messed up, the problem may come back. I cannot think of a reason why that many files could not be verified.

I might even want to get a new hard drive and do a temporary Win 7 install to see if it would stay clean.

Last edited:
I am not ready to do a big re-install yet for just the character map problem. Of interest is that I found a site where I could download the file, dis so and then replaced the one in the system32 directory and it didn't make any difference. I got the same error. That is too strange. Thanks for your help. I will just carry on until things get worse and hope that they don't :)

OK, I have learned something. When you run the command to copy the failed repairs, you do not want to do it for several SFC runs, since it notes multiple versions of the same file :eek:

The attached file is a condensed version of the errors in your attached file. Maybe someone will see something in common with some of the files that are not being repaired. If you have an OS made by an OEM, there may be some file differences, but I could not imagine this many...

Attachments

• Could Not Fix.txt
    802 bytes · Views: 530
Thanks for condensing the file....I do NOT have an OEM OS. It is a DVD with MS logo, etc

Back
Top Bottom