Windows 7 Clean install with Win7 upgrade version???

perdomot

I'm running XP on my main rig and have been using Win7 on my second PC and really like it so when they announced the early bird pricing for the Win7 home upgrade at $49, I decided I wanted it but what I need to know is if it will allow me to do a clean install as long as I have my XP disc. Can't seem to find the answer on the web and I want a definite confirmation of this ability as I don't want to spend $200 for the full version. Thanks.

Hey there--64 OR 32 bit

Ok all you computer greats out there--simple question here I KNOW Thousands want a just very plain and simple answer too--with maybe some prograhm names attached--64 bit is the way of the future--soooo --installing the all new windows 7-wich should an all around computer user use? And if it is 64 bit--what type of prograhms would not work--i realy want to use 64 bit--and know a little about computers:eek:--But KEEP getting confuseing responces to this question my self--and know 10,s of thousands of pc users would LOVE a straight answer. Lets see what we come up with here world.:razz:

Um ya--i know--64=64--i,m talking about peeps with A SYSTEM that is set up for it--BUT you always here --SOME apps will not work in 64 mode--BUT NO ONE ever says what apps--or even gives a hint of them--i figure it this way--if you dont have the answer-why bring it up--me and many many others would like to know.

what i want to know is, what is an inplace install? does that mean you can just install windows 7 right over vista and not lose anything or do you still lose stuff?

fishhawk,

Not sure what answer you are looking for - if you pc is x64 compatible ( very likely is) - you can install 7 x64.

Will all programs run on it?

No, nearly all will and manufacturers are bringing out 64 bit compatible versions at an increasing rate.

You might find a few very old programs will not run.

No one will be able to give a list of all the thousands of programs available for Windows and say which will or won't run on x64.

Last edited:
Wii master,

An in place upgrade is where you boot into your existing o/s ( do not boot the dvd ) - put the upgrade dvd in the drive, run setup from the dvd and choose "upgrade" .

It should replace the o/s files and not disturb your own data.

If you mean using one of the Beta/RC builds - it can be problematic.

I would suggest using Vista Disk Management to shrink your Vista partition and create another to install 7 onto.

You would then dual boot - you should get a boot menu at the end of POST - just select which o/s you wish to boot each time - you can set either as default so you don't need to manually select.

Last edited:
im not gonna use the RC or anything, im talking about the final product because im really wanting to get this OS, but my dad is saying it's just gonna be another vista. besides, i really don't know how to dual boot and is way too complicated for my understanding.

In that case, you can upgrade if you follow the upgrade path:

Vista to Windows 7 upgrades:

- No upgrade options for Windows Vista Starter (SP1, SP2), not even to Windows 7 Starter;

- Windows Vista Home Basic (SP1, SP2) 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) can be upgraded to Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64);

- Windows Vista Home Premium (SP1, SP2) 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) can be upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64);

- Windows Vista Business (SP1, SP2) 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) can be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64);

- Windows Vista Enterprise (SP1, SP2) 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) can be upgraded to Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64);

- Windows Vista Ultimate (SP1, SP2) 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) can be upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64);

- No upgrade options for Windows Vista Home Basic N (SP1, SP2), not even to Windows 7 N or E;

- No upgrade options for Windows Vista Business N (SP1, SP2), not even to Windows 7 N or E.

Which Edition of Vista are you currently using?

To do an upgrade install - you must use the same bit - version.

So , if you currently have Vista Home Premium (32 bit) - you can do the upgrade install to WIN 7 Home Premium (32 bit) on the pre order special price.

Last edited:
you got it right on the spot what i have :D well, that's definitely very convenient, i just wonder how efficient it is.... will i get the same features as the full version of windows 7?

The upgrade provides exactly the same functions and features as the Full Retail version.

If you wonder if Home Premium is enough - the answer is almost certainly , yes.

If you want to see the extra features of the higher Editions, check here:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Very few people will ever need or use the features in the more expensive Editions.

Last edited:
Ok all you computer greats out there--simple question here I KNOW Thousands want a just very plain and simple answer too--with maybe some prograhm names attached--64 bit is the way of the future--soooo --installing the all new windows 7-wich should an all around computer user use? And if it is 64 bit--what type of prograhms would not work--i realy want to use 64 bit--and know a little about computers:eek:--But KEEP getting confuseing responces to this question my self--and know 10,s of thousands of pc users would LOVE a straight answer. Lets see what we come up with here world.:razz:

You wont get a straight answer because you have not asked a straight question. When you say what type of programs would not work the only real answer is very old programs. Most programs that worked in vista 64 bit will work in Win7 64 bit. Some programs written in 32 bit will also work very well and many programs offer 32 bit or 64 bit versions.
I understand that Win 7 will be tha last Microsoft Operating system written in 32 bit.
Name a specific program or a list even, and I am sure somone will tell you if it will work ikn Win 7 64bit.
I hope this is helpful:razz:

32 to 64 is a big question - there are already huge threads on it.

Don't worry too much - your product key is good for either bit version - you can change if you like. That requires a clean install .

I always clean install. It is fresher - without all the broken links and other garbage that inevitably accumulates as you use the pc.

Some people upgrade mainly because they would have a huge amount to set up again if they didn't.

oh, ok. well, i don't know how to do a clean install, but my dad could show me, and im sure the package has some instructions on it. but that sounds better, and maybe i can get rid of all that pre-installed hp crap off here through that (that stuff is completely useless, i wish i could get rid of it right now).

Fishhawk, Are you "LOST"?

Notice the thread title and the OP question(s) has nothing to do with your concerns. (LOL)

Clean install with Win7 upgrade version???

I'm running XP on my main rig and have been using Win7 on my second PC and really like it so when they announced the early bird pricing for the Win7 home upgrade at $49, I decided I wanted it but what I need to know is if it will allow me to do a clean install as long as I have my XP disc. Can't seem to find the answer on the web and I want a definite confirmation of this ability as I don't want to spend $200 for the full version. Thanks.

You might get a better response if you:

A: Post in a ongoing thread on the subject (What apps work /don't work in X64) , or Create a thread of your own about your concerns instead of hijacking someone else's thread.

(BTW: On my years on the net- I don't remember seeing someone trying to thread hijack a thread in the 1st post in the thread- Most thread hijacks, or "Crapping" on peoples threads happen later on in the thread.... Someone may mention a procedure /program, bit of hardware unrelated to the thread and the thread goes off on a tangent...)

Getting back on topic:

This thread is asking if it is possible / if there are any special procedures to do a CLEAN INSTALL via the $49 Win7 home Premium upgrade disc from XP. It is NOT about what apps work or don't work in a X64 environment. Asking about such is disrespectful to the OP, and for those that are "hunting" for info related to the thread title.

(Before responding back telling me to drop dead, etc.... Ask yourself how YOU would feel if you created a thread about YOUR concerns- and the first poster in the thread was trying to take the thread off-topic.)

BTW: As nehoma posted above, most 32-bit apps will work /can be made to work in x64.

TIP: 1: When searching for info on xyz program- If it runs in Vista X64 ok, it should run in WIN 7 x64...

TIP: 2: When searching for info on xyz program - Most sites on the programs you are interested in verifying they indeed work on WIN 7 x64 will NOT list WIN 7 as a OS,,,, they will instead list Vista x64 since WIN 7 has NOT been officially been released yet. . .

Last edited:

From what I've read:

The upgrade disc requires it to be run from a existing "activated /validated" XP install... meaning you have to install XP, then activate that copy of XP with MS for the installer to grant permission to do the install.

If anyone knows of a workaround for this- I'd like to hear about it... As I like the OP would prefer to point the installer to the XP install disc.....

EDIT: Found this post on the net:

Windows 7 Clean Install From Upgrade Media Confirmed
This means you can do a fresh install with an Upgrade disc.

The Upgrade disc allows you to install the OS, and if you don't
enter your CD key, it should ask you what version you want to
try. Chose the version you paid for, and the installer will finish.

Then, while in the OS, navigate to the disc and click the Setup.exe.
Run the installer again and this time enter your serial. Voila

The same is true for Vista Upgrade media.

Last edited:
Back