Windows 7 Clean Page File without rebooting?

Nisko

After my computer has been running for some time (maybe days), it gets really slow. I found a great memory manager that cleans the memory. I was wondering if there was a way to clean the Page File without rebooting. BTW, I use Process Explorer so I know there is nothing running that shouldn't be hogging resources.

Have you checked to see if you even need a pagefile. Depending on your RAM size and what applications you run you may well find you don't need one at all. I have 4gb of ram on my system, usage hardly ever goes over about 50% and I haven't had a pagefile on my system for years. One of the problems with pagefiles is that there are some apps which use it unnecessarily causing unjustified disk swapping. I'd try removing the pagefile completely - if your system runs ok without it (as mine does) then ok - at worst it will complain if the pagefile is needed and you can recreate it.

Thanks for the tip - I didn't know that. However, if I find I still need one, I'd like to be able to quickly set it back to where it was at boot.

I have 12 gig of memory and do not use a page file. The only problem is if you have have a BSOD the dump file might not be saved you get this warning when you discontinue the use of the dump file.

I only have 4 GB of memory - so I probably need a page file. Still would like to know how to refresh it without rebooting.

I've only 4gb of ram and haven't used a pagefile for years - I'd at least try removing it - nothing to lose, much to gain and easy to change back if you have any problem.

Back