Windows Vista Clearing Restore points in Vista

Soporose

Hi all.

Not exactly a Support question, but I can't see a better place to put it.

I need to write some instructions for a group of users on how to clear any existing Restore Points. The operating systems are a mixture of mostly XP with some Vista and a couple of Windows 7. However I'm doing this at home over the weekend and I only have Windows XP Pro available.

Can anyone tell me if the following procedure needs to be modified in any respect for Vista or Win7:

1. Click Start, then right-click My Computer.
2. Click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check the box "Turn off System Restore".
5. Click Apply and you'll be prompted with a dialog asking you to confirm that you do want to turn off System Restore.
6. Click Yes.
7. Restart the computer.
9. Repeat steps 1-6, except in step 4, uncheck the option to "Turn Off System Restore".

TIA for your assistance.

For W7 RTM I had to -

1. Right-click 'Computer'
2. Click 'Properties'
3. Click 'Advanced System Settings' in the left panel
4. Click 'System Protection' tab at the top
5. Click 'Configure'
6. Select 'Turn off system protection' radio button

To turn it back on then just repeat the above but select the 'Restore system settings and previous versions of files' radio button instead.

I don't use System Restore so I couldn't check if it actually removed previous Restore points but I'm assuming that it would.

Remove System Restore Points Vista

Start Orb
Type in Disk Clean up
When the computer brings up Disk clean options, if running as administrator, select "Files from all users on this computer"

After permissions,the Drive Selection will calculate what is available to clean from (Windows C)

Disk Interface will appear after calculation window closes.
Two Tabs are offered: Disk clean-up or more options

Choose "More Options" tab. This is where you will find the restore point option.
If you hit clean-up "System Restore and Shadow Copies" then hit OK. Warning: this will also initiate clean-up of disk clean-up components.

Last edited:
Back