Windows 7 Closed loop

kent333

I'll try to make this as short as possible.

It started with the "free" win 10 upgrade that managed to trash my computer. It did offer to revert to my Win7 and managed to do that. But machine freezes up in anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes. After 3 days of computer hell I finally gave up and opted to restore to factory conditions.

Now I'm in a closed loop where a "starting sevices" message appears, then a message that says windows can't start the services. So I shut down by pressing and holding the processor button (since nothing else is available, including starting task manager) and when I restart guess what????

"Starting Services".....followed by....... "Windows can't start services"....followed by an OK button that starts it all over again...ad infinitum. Oh, sometimes the "Windows can't start services" doesn't appear and after three or four hours pass I figure it can't start services and is too embarrassed to say so.

I'm not capable after three days of this to ask an intelligent question....other than can I sue Microsoft, or at least get the name and address of the WIN 10 guru?

I'm not capable after three days of this to ask an intelligent question

Lets start with my system is (insert make and model) desktop/ laptop/ zen watch?

other than can I sue Microsoft

No... it's a free upgrade so you can not ask/ sue for your money back... at least not under Australian law.

or at least get the name and address of the WIN 10 guru?

We have them here... I assume you don't have any backup system in place so at this point (until we learn what type of system it is) the best advise I can give you is remove the hdd from the laptop/ desktop, replace it with a new blank one and install W7 on that.

Lets start with my system is (insert make and model) desktop/ laptop/ zen watch?

No... it's a free upgrade so you can not ask/ sue for your money back... at least not under Australian law.

We have them here... I assume you don't have any backup system in place so at this point (until we learn what type of system it is) the best advise I can give you is remove the hdd from the laptop/ desktop, replace it with a new blank one and install W7 on that.

Zen watch? Australian law? Replace the hard drive or a new blank what?

I'm thinking maybe I oughta try that that M'soft My Community forum again where to register for asking a simple freaking question I had to provide, among other pertinent things, the last four of my credit card number, it's expiration date, and the email addresses of anyone in my contacts list that I've recently communicated with.

thanks anyway....and good sailing.

You feel letting us know what system you have is an invasion of your privacy?

Not a prob mate... hope it all works out for you.

You feel letting us know what system you have is an invasion of your privacy?

Not a prob mate... hope it all works out for you.

Not at all. You're not asking for my contacts list.

Since I can't get into it now I'll have to go with my short memeory.....

eMachine desktop
Intel Pentium Dual Core Pocessor 3.7 Ghz
Intel Graphics Chipset (can't remember which number)

Background: It started with the Win10 upgrade. Everything was operational until I was about 3 minutes into a flight on Microsoft's Flight Simulator X. Machine locked up, screen went black, speakers hummed. I quickly chose the option to revert to my Win7 64 bit OS. All that in less than 15 minutes after the lengthy upgrade to 10.

After that everything worked fine until I tried flying again. Later I discovered that FSX (the sim) requires DirectX 9 and Win10 installs DirectX 10. I followed instuctions from the flightsim gurus on how to uninstall and reinstall FSX properly, which hopefully installed DirectX 9, but I don't know if there are remnants of DX 10 in there.

Thirty years ago I knew a little something about DOS. No more! So what I'd like to know first is how to get out of this loop. And second how to use DOS to find the problem. I can start with the command prompt but don't know what to do next.

Sorry about yesterday. Three days of frustration, coupled with an issue of an infection that I learned later could have killed me in 36 hours, I was not at my best. (If your tongue ever swells up do something else you may soon quit breathing...or so I'm told.)

Last edited:
Not at all. You're not asking for my contacts list.

Since I can't get into it now I'll have to go with my short memeory.....

eMachine desktop
Intel Pentium Dual Core Pocessor 3.7 Ghz
Intel Graphics Chipset (can't remember which number)

Background: It started with the Win10 upgrade. Everything was operational until I was about 3 minutes into a flight on Microsoft's Flight Simulator X. Machine locked up, screen went black, speakers hummed. I quickly chose the option to revert to my Win7 64 bit OS. All that in less than 15 minutes after the lengthy upgrade to 10.

After that everything worked fine until I tried flying again. Later I discovered that FSX (the sim) requires DirectX 9 and Win10 installs DirectX 10. I followed instuctions from the flightsim gurus on how to uninstall and reinstall FSX properly, which hopefully installed DirectX 9, but I don't know if there are remnants of DX 10 in there.

Thirty years ago I knew a little something about DOS. No more! So what I'd like to know first is how to get out of this loop. And second how to use DOS to find the problem. I can start with the command prompt but don't know what to do next.

Sorry about yesterday. Three days of frustration, coupled with an issue of an infection that I learned later could have killed me in 36 hours, I was not at my best. (If your tongue ever swells up do something else you may soon quit breathing...or so I'm told.)

Hmm, I suspect that you reverting back to Windows 7 caused some major issues...

Have you tried SFC /scannow?

chkdsk?

Please have a look here:

System File Checker - A great Windows fix tool.
Compute in Confidence with Windows System File Integrity Checker

Try following the steps indicated and lets see if this solves your issue.

A lot of these requests may in fact come down to drive corruption or faltering components, but we need to rule out hardware and software and do whatever we can to try to isolate the problem. Consider "SFC" an integrity check for Windows files and chkdsk essentially checking the NTFS file system for reports of volume mapping issues (software, usually) and actual bad sectors (failed parts of the HDD).

Downgrading an OS is usually a last ditch maneuver so this was not a good idea, so the idea that you should

Completely erase your HDD and do a clean install of Windows.

May actually be a real alternative.

Hmm, I suspect that you reverting back to Windows 7 caused some major issues...

Have you tried SFC /scannow?

chkdsk?

Please have a look here:

System File Checker - A great Windows fix tool.
Compute in Confidence with Windows System File Integrity Checker

Try following the steps indicated and lets see if this solves your issue.

A lot of these requests may in fact come down to drive corruption or faltering components, but we need to rule out hardware and software and do whatever we can to try to isolate the problem. Consider "SFC" an integrity check for Windows files and chkdsk essentially checking the NTFS file system for reports of volume mapping issues (software, usually) and actual bad sectors (failed parts of the HDD).

Downgrading an OS is usually a last ditch maneuver so this was not a good idea, so the idea that you should

May actually be a real alternative.

Thanks Mike,

I did think thst was a little drastic for a starter. However, until I get out of the loop I'm in with the WIN 7 recovery to factory procedure, I can't access the sfc......or can I?.

If I start in safe mode the "Starting System Services" message from the last time it tried comes up again. That's the loop I'm in and there's no way I can find to get out of it.

If I could, I Ihink I know how to fix it and I think I know exactly how I caused it. You see, I use an IOBIT Advance System Care program for several maintenance reasons. One other reason is called Turbo Boost, which will shut down unneccessary services when gaming, in my case flying. I'm fairly certain I would have done that before that last flight and then forgot to restore to "work" mode before starting the recovery. That being the case, the recovery couldn't start some services. (I also think I know why FSX crashes and it has to do with a memory setting in the fsx.cfg file which establies how much memory will allotted to capture video for replay. I tweaked that up a long time ago, but with the reinstall it's now back to default.)

I think all I need is some DOS help to go in and stop the WIN 7 recovery program. At least I hope so.

Thank you very much for your reply and if you can help me with the DOS task I'd really appreciate it.

What are the system recovery options in Windows? - Windows Help

Use the command prompt before Windows 7 boots while in recovery mode. The fact that you can't boot into safe mode is a very bad sign, as essentially, pretty much nothing should be starting up automatically.... this would indicate something is wrong with the recovery to Windows 7.

I know to use the command prompt, but once there I don't know how to force an exit from the Windows Recovery program which is the loop I'm caught in. Once I'm out of that I can restore the Turbo Boost for gaming back to work mode which will allow Windows Recovery to start the backgound services.

Any ideas?

Back