Windows 7 CMD prompt dir problems

Alex4921

Hai Thair

Just recently(today) i noticed a problem with my CMD,when i type "help" or "attrib" or any other command that relates to an EXE in system32 it says unknown command blah blah but whne i have my CD as system32 it can find the help and atttrib EXE's just fine and i know this isint normal behavior for CMD cause if i want to attrib +s +h something in my documents i just CD to my documents and attrib the file directly but now i have to CD to system32 and do it the long way like this:

attrib +s +h "C:\users\alex\documents\Folder full of items of a cool nature"

which gets rather annoying,i have atttached pics to help with the problem(And a picture of my SET command to prove that the dirs are correct on set.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

To change the system environment variables, follow the below steps.
  1. Click "Start", then click "Computer".
  2. Click "System Properties"on the toolbar, then click on "Advanced System Settings".
  3. In the Advanced section, click the "Environment Variables..." button.
  4. Finally, in the Environment Variables window, highlight the path variable in the Systems Variable section and click edit. Add or modify the path lines with the paths you wish the computer to access. Each different directory is separated with a semicolon as shown below.

C:\Program Files;C:\Winnt;C:\Winnt\System32
This will then cause any path you enter, like "C:\users\alex\documents\Folder full of items of a cool nature", to be included in the execution path of the command and you won't have to keep retyping it.

This is an enhancement of the old MS-DOS "PATH=" command.

That is why i inculuded my SET command which is the same as that fancy UI and shows the path vairable,please look at the picture and you will understand what i mean

Hello Alex.

We are both running x64 of Win7, and my set commands looks like this (and works). The only difference i found between ours (aside from the fact that i have more than you have) is that you resolve alot to %SystemRoot%, where I just use C:\windows. You define (set) systemroot to C:\windows too, but you do not USE the actual text "C:\windows\" in your paths...

Changing that is worth a try? :) It seems wierd that your current paths does not work, I agree..

Back