Windows 7 CoD4 Problems with DirectX

Qwerty

Hi, I downloaded Windows 7 yesterday and I got it work... But when i wanna play cod4 it doesn't work. :( When i launch the game it says ""DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error. Check readme for possible solutions". I know that you need DirectX 9.0c but i got DirectX 11 and I don't know how to change it. I downloaded DirectX 9.0c and i installed it and restarted comp but still didn't change. I try to find DirectX 11 in my computer to unintall it or something but i can't find it.

So please help me!

Thanks, Qwerty.

A few things that are helpful to solving your problem...

1. What is your system spec?
2. Installed all the correct Hardware Drivers?
3. What build of Windows 7 are you using?
4. Have you patched the game or cracked it or have you installed it from a disc or 'other source'?
5. You do not need to uninstall directx 11
6. What is the error code it gives?

I had similar problems, however, last night I downloaded and installed the Directx 11 SDK found here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/A/5/3A53CE87-F5C9-4CE5-92E1-5E2AF4841741/DXSDK_Mar09.exe

It's about 514mb but I was getting speeds of up to 1mbps so it only takes a few minutes to complete. The download contains tools, documents and the March release of Directx. After installation (in W7 Ulimate build 7260) I went to iw3sp.exe (COD4's exe file), opened properties and set compatibility to 'Windows XP service pack 3'. COD4 ran fine. I hope this helps in some way :)

I had the same problem and a friend told me to have a mic and headphones plugged in when you start up the game. For some reason I don't know it worked and that error I got went away only when the mic/audio is plugged in

A few things that are helpful to solving your problem...

1. What is your system spec?
2. Installed all the correct Hardware Drivers?
3. What build of Windows 7 are you using?
4. Have you patched the game or cracked it or have you installed it from a disc or 'other source'?
5. You do not need to uninstall directx 11
6. What is the error code it gives?

1. I have installed W7 on Virtual Box, so that i can have XP and W7 on the same comp but it's powerful enough to run cod4 on it
2. Not sure witch are the correct once...
3. W7 Ultimate 7100
4. I haven't patched it, but i will. I installed the game from a disc.
5. Ok
6. "DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error. Check readme for possible solutions".

Last edited:
I had similar problems, however, last night I downloaded and installed the Directx 11 SDK found here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/A/5/3A53CE87-F5C9-4CE5-92E1-5E2AF4841741/DXSDK_Mar09.exe

It's about 514mb but I was getting speeds of up to 1mbps so it only takes a few minutes to complete. The download contains tools, documents and the March release of Directx. After installation (in W7 Ulimate build 7260) I went to iw3sp.exe (COD4's exe file), opened properties and set compatibility to 'Windows XP service pack 3'. COD4 ran fine. I hope this helps in some way :)

Doesn't Work but thanks

I had the same problem and a friend told me to have a mic and headphones plugged in when you start up the game. For some reason I don't know it worked and that error I got went away only when the mic/audio is plugged in

Not working

I'm just testing it on virtual how W7 works and if I wouldn't get any problems with it so would reinstall my comp to W7.

But my father got an idea so i will today change from Windows XP to W7. Maybe it will fix the problem. And if doesn't i can set XP back again just how it was :)

I'll write it here if it works after it or doesn't....

Anyway thanks for the help!

i have windows 7 x64 build 7048 and cod4 run normally
2 gb ram ddr2 kingston
2.53 core 2 duo 3mb cache
nvidia 9500 gt 1 gb vm
all problems happen if u have done something wrong

Back