Codecs

A good set of freeware codecs and tools is here, all compatible with 7:

Codec Guide: K-Lite Codec Pack - Windows 7 codecs

I installed K-Lite Codec Pack 64-bit because I couldn't play one of my DVDRips.

K-Lite Video Conversion Pack contains the following applications:

Avidemux is a very powerful tool for editing video files. It supports almost every type of video file as input. It can do lots of things: cut, remux, convert, etc. It contains its own decoders and encoders for all common audio and video formats, so it does not need any codecs.

ImgBurn is a versatile tool for burning DVDs.

DVDStyler is a basic DVD authoring tool. With this you can create your own video DVD, complete with a custom menu.

I've been using K-Lite stuff for a long time, and been happy with it. But there is another alternative to K-Lite:

Shark007.net - Windows 7 Codecs - WMP12 Codecs

Don't know how good this last one is.

whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
Premium Supporter

Avidemux is a very powerful tool for editing video files. It supports almost every type of video file as input. It can do lots of things: cut, remux, convert, etc. It contains its own decoders and encoders for all common audio and video formats, so it does not need any codecs.

DVDStyler is a basic DVD authoring tool. With this you can create your own video DVD, complete with a custom menu.

I've been using K-Lite stuff for a long time, and been happy with it. But there is another alternative to K-Lite:

Nice one Cybercore . Very handy tips on codecs :)

Nice one Cybercore . Very handy tips on codecs :)

Happy to hear that, thank you Whoosh.

Could you provide a direct link to this? I visited the page and when I clicked on the Download link on the 64 bit Codec Pack page it took me to another site. When I selected its DL link it just gave me a FFDSHOW file.

whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Could you provide a direct link to this? I visited the page and when I clicked on the Download link on the 64 bit Codec Pack page it took me to another site. When I selected its DL link it just gave me a FFDSHOW file.
Hope this link will be of use to you : Download K-Lite Codec Pack

Or : http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm

K-Lite Codec Pack 64-bit :
This is a bundle of 64-bit DirectShow filters that can be used together with 64-bit players, such as Windows Media Center. This pack can co-exist without problems with the regular (32-bit) K-Lite Codec Pack.
The 64-bit versions of Windows can run 32-bit software perfectly fine. So it is recommended to use the regular K-Lite Codec Pack when possible. That one contains more, better and faster decoders. You only need 64-bit filters for use with 64-bit applications.
Works on 64-bit versions of Windows XP/2003/Vista/Seven.

Last edited:

I already did: it takes you to the description page with 9 mirrors (all officially checked and trusted), choose one which works well for you, I prefer softpedia's.

@ Whoosh, thank you for the follow-up comment : )

reghakr

Essential Member
cybercore,

I have all you have listed except for Sharks.

If fact I just had a dispute with him another form.

He told me to keep using K=crap

cybercore,

I have all you have listed except for Sharks.

If fact I just had a dispute with him another form.

He told me to keep using K=crap

It is always good to have reasons-why for something being criticized.

I don't know which pack is better, I know there are many adepts of each. I personally felt comfortable with both these packs installed in my systems separately at different times. I used them to playback and to record my Avermedia stream, worked well. I also know some users do quite well without any codecs installed, and I've also heard Pinnacle gurus not recommend to install any codecs to avoid Pinnacle conflict.

reghakr

Essential Member
Do they install the same files and are the versions higher or lower than K-Lite?

Do they install the same files and are the versions higher or lower than K-Lite?
I think it differs from version to version of each of the packs, but I must say that I haven't watched specifically for the issue you mention. For the most part, the codecs should be the same.

As for the K-Lite, I've noticed its installation is very customizable, I prefer it the fullest way and I haven't had any troubles with it. I know there are many adepts of each package (to me it looks more of a matter of habit which one to prefer), and I myself have tried them both (but separately) in Vista, frankly did not notice any significant difference. Playing back and recording my TV/FM tuner was all I used them for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Should anyone be in doubts whether to install codecs or not, if you do not have problems playing and recording media then you can quite do without them. :) Otherwise consider one of the codec packs listed above.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a great site devoted to codecs including the above mentioned paks:

Free-Codecs.com :: Download latest audio codecs, video codecs, codec packs and tools, FREE!

Free-Codecs.com :: Download K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 5.4.4 : The K-Lite Mega Codec Pack includes the K-Lite Codec Pack Full, QuickTime Alternative, Real Alternative support and Monkey's Audio DirectShow decoder.

Free-Codecs.com :: Download Vista Codec Package 5.4.9 : With Vista Codec Package installed, you won't need to install any other codec or filter.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.