Windows 7 COM8 problems.

dlw1146

I'm trying to connect to a 3d printer via COM8 and can not.
Device Manager says all is OK. Everything is working.

Any help appreciated.

dlw

Is this via a serial connection? Do you have the settings correct on the com port such as baud rate, data bits, stop bits etc.

Is this via a serial connection? Do you have the settings correct on the com port such as baud rate, data bits, stop bits etc.

Yes to serial connection. I was told baud rates do not matter.
Do not know about data bits, stop bits, etc.
I worked before on COM8.

The most important part of a serial connection is the correct baud rate, unless some new fancy auto negotiation is at work in the printer.
Make sure you look at the printer manual and verify the baud rate needed is the same as the PC is set to for com8.
When you said it worked before did you mean the printer or the some other device on that port.

The printer worked on COM8 before.
The baud rate is set to 'AUTO'.
I've set it to every setting listed in the manual, tried different USB cables, even power supplies.
Is it possible to change COM ports?

The com port designation is a logical port meaning it doesn't really matter which # you assign it as long as the printer device in shows the correct COM in 'Devices and Printers' which if the device is unplugged or the printer is powered off the com assignment can change. As helpifican stated check the printer manual to verify the serial settings.

It is com8. It never, never, never changes.
For months, it's been com8.
I just plugged and unplugged 6 times. It is always the same.

The program, Cura, only shows com8 and different baud rates. No other com ports.
As stated, changing baud rates makes no difference.
The laptop can not connect to the 3d printer.

See attached.
Capture.jpg

Check device manager and see if there are any issues there. If not could be a hardware error. Check you PC or board manual and see if you can change ports. Sometimes they can be changed by straps on the mother board.
If none of this works you could buy a card to add additional com ports, or look for a USB to serial converter.

Sorry missed the device mgr pic.

Back
Top Bottom