Windows 10 Comcast

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
I hope there are some Comcast users here.
I went to check my settings in their gateway router and found my password opened and my key exposed. I was told it might have been a firmware upgrade.
I don't think that is so.
I have temporarily beefed up the password to enter the setup for now but have question;

I used to bridge their router within the gateway then use my own router till it died. Do you recommend I use a router to avoid prying eyes. I cannot find out if Comcast can see on my side of their router.

My old router never had bridging as I just clicked bridging on the Comcast router so I suspect I do not need bridging on my new one I will be getting.

Thank you

You should either have a broadband modem + router or a combo router/modem. If its the latter and it's a Comcast device then they most likely can and do modify the device. I personally prefer to have separate modem and router and own both. This way Comcast can't do anything to the router. They do update the modem I believe.

I need the gateway as I have a triple play and need to accommodate the phone. It is a large black upstanding box with several lights and has the phone RJ 45 at the top and the LAN and WANS beneath.
If I did not need the phone I would have my own modem and router.
I will get the router tomorrow and bridge theirs. I did not have bridging feature on my older router and think clicking 'bridging' within theirs will prepare me to set my own up like I used to. I will have dual band 1200 AC.

I just noticed there is a place to stop them from peeking called admin remote but it involves some work I am not familiar with.

I am late but wanted to finish what I started. I use the Comcast router with a good password to enter and a strong SSID key.
I have had no trouble since. I have both the 5 and lesser band width.
Second router not needed nor advised after much research.

Back
Top Bottom