Comp won't start after system restore, please help!

Hi All,

I've had an issue with Windows 7 RC that is very strange and I'm struggling to find a solution to it.

I went to install the updated drivers for my GeForce 7300 video card through Windows Update (the update appeared a few weeks ago). Anyway, before this I made a system restore point just in case. I installed the update and it worked ok. However, I then found the screen would sporadically blink strangely.

I restarted the computer, same issue. I then, using system restore, went to restore back to the original point I created (mentioned at the start of the post). Again, it went through ok and the computer restarted.

However, when the computer restarted it went to a black screen with just a mouse cursor (instead of the logon screen). There was hard drive activity on and off, but nothing appeared on screen,. After about 15 minutes I restarted, and same story - to the black screen with just the mouse cursor. As the mouse cursor appears, it even changes to the 'busy' icon for a few seconds and then just the white cursor. I've tried Last Known Good Configuration and also Low-video mode (640x480) but same story, black screen with mouse cursor.

Any ideas how I might solve this? Seems like the system restore has failed or created some problem.

Thanks everyone, appreciate your time in reading this! Andrew.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.