Windows 7 compatibility question

spikey70

Hi, newbie here. Bare with me as I'm just a hair above computer stupid. Question is I currently am running xp, am about to upgrade to new system (64bit vista and will upgrade to win7). Is there any hope that the basic level games we currently own will work on the new systems, and if so, what will we need to do? Most of the games we have state system requirements include vista.... Thanks in advance for your responses. Greg.

Most if not all games made in the last 2-3 years work on Vista/Windows 7 happily, and there's always XP Virtual Machine (For games that are seriously old or don't require high end graphic cards) as always there's gonna be a handful of strugglers often fixed later by driver updates or game updates. It's also worth stating that many games by EA for example say they are Vista incompatible on the box and run perfectly well on it (C&C Tib Wars for example).

My Experience? about 5 games out of my vast collection going back 10 years can't be tweaked into service....yet and to be fair they so old I don't really care, although I had to use XP VM to run my "Freelancer" dedicated server to be able to play it online, which works perfectly.

Last edited:
I agree with Highwayman.. There's not much that can't be tweaked into service.. Halo runs even better on 7 than it did on vista but that's just one example...

what about Halo 2? although to be fair it seriously needs a POV fix, I had issues with it on Vista x64 but was more down to shoddy PC porting I think as it didnt crash out etc.

I think it's an awful game and an awful port (IMO)... I tried playing it again the other day and just couldn't be bothered with it. Real shame as Halo is such an awesome game...

I know what you mean, my biggest gripe was the zoomed POV, was like wearing horse blinkers as had very narrow field of view which is totally naff on a FPS regardless of its origins...shame as such a naff port has likely doomed our chances at getting the 3rd installment.

Most if not all games made in the last 2-3 years work on Vista/Windows 7 happily, and there's always XP Virtual Machine (For games that are seriously old or don't require high end graphic cards)
One quick note that is worth mentioning, games that use 3D rendering which is more common than you think (Pangya, Combat Arms etc.) will not work in XP mode. At least it didnt with the RC. I threw the RC on my computer a while back and ended up taking it off because none of my games would work on it. They have updated those games now and work with my RTM copy, but just something you might want to consider.

Back
Top Bottom