Windows 7 Computer broken!?

Tony Feng

Hello recently I forced my PC to shut down during its bootup by holding down the power button. I know it was stupid but now when I switch it on everything seems to be so much slower. A program takes minutes to start up and even if it does, it becomes unresponsive really soon. Also I can't connect to the internet. I tried to backup up but it just doesn't do anything after I click it. Re-installing windows doesn't seem to be working either as I just get stuck at checking compatibility. What do I do!? Please help!

Whilst not recommended powering down a pc by holding the power button should not create the sort of problems you describe. Unless your pc is a number of years old or built privately then I would expect your system to have a recovery partition on the hard drive from which you may run a fullt system recovery. If you give us details about the make and model of your pc we can advise your further.

We'll my computer is pretty new and it's windows 7. Whenever I try to click system restore or backup nothing happens and everything takes ages to load. When it's restoring an error usually occurs and it says I failed to restore previous settings. Could it be that I have been infected with a virus? Because it says my firewall and Norton are all "off" although I don't remember turning them off. Also yeah it was built privately. It's just windows explorer stops responding all the time and I'm starting to suspect its a virus

Last edited:
Practically always, when you get problems, the first thing is to run a thorough scan with your antivirus, and also with, say, Malwarebytes, perhaps a check with CCleaner.

I don't know Norton, nor what your firewall is, but you can turn them on through Settings - you don't have had your license expired, by accident? Also, you shouldn't have several security programs running at the same time, in case your Norton includes one, like firewall, the other(s) may cause a conflict.

Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del at the same time, go to Start Task Manager, there you can see what's eating CPU. It may be something you've installed lately?

By the way, I've had somewhat same kinds of problems lately, programs won't start with one click in the Start Menu, they require two clicks, sometimes a program won't work even if it started, I have to shut it down, after restarting it, it works fine. Could be a glitch, that will be in order after some Microsoft update.

Last edited:
There are two different words which refer to resetting your computer to a particular state. Unfortunately they are very similar and are often confused. System restore sets your computer back to a particulat point in time. Any downloads or updates run since then will be lost but you will not lose any data. System recovery is a much more powerful procedure - it sets your entire system back to the state in which you first bought it. You will lose all installed programs, all updates and user data which you have stored on your system drive. System recovery gives you a completely clean start and if you want to do that you should check your user guide for exactly how to do it for your particular pc. If you have difficulty finding out do get back to us with details of your make and model. Whatever you do, if you are going to run a system recovery then make sure you first back up any files you wish to keep.

Hi

My new Asus laptop runs Window 8-1

In an attempt to create a “Recovery Disk” I lost contact with it. Power is on, but nothing on the screen.

First, I have followed these steps in this order to create a “Recovery Disk”:

1. PC Setting

2. Update and recovery

3. Recovery

4. Then selected “Advance Startup”

Then I realized my big mistake. The system is waiting for my device (a disk or a Flash Card with the necessary Recovery Application” for it to re-boat.

But I don’t have that device, since I didn’t have the opportunity to create it in the first place.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

I advise you to open a new thread with its own title for with this problem rather than tacking it on to the end a month old one.

Back