Computer can't connect to Gmail

#1
Hi,
I recently came up with a problem on one of my computers that drove me completely insane. I've been using Gmail for quite sometime now, but all of a sudden, I couldn't open the site anymore. I can still log in from iGoogle but nothing can get me into Gmail. I've tried connecting from the Google homepage, typing "mail.google.com" into the address bar and I even tried www.gmail.com but nothing worked.
The most frustrating part of the problem is that I can connect from any other computer or any kind of device that has Internet capabilities. I've tried clearing my Cookies, Cache, Browsing History and even tried with a different Internet browser but I got no where.

The error that I get when I try to connect with Google Chrome is the following:

--
The webpage has a redirect loop

The webpage at https://mail.google.com/[email protected] has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.

Here are some suggestions:
- Reload the webpage later.
- Learn more about this problem.

Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects.
--

Clicking "Learn more" just brings me to a page explaining about cookies and how to delete them.

I did some poking around on the Internet and found some pages that said there might be a virus that is blocking certain webpages from loading (I have no idea about that, but it is likely, as I had just gotten the computer and didn't have any antivirus installed).

Just in case, here is some info about the computer:

Acer Aspire 5736Z
Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4500 @ 2.30GHz
4.00GB Installed Memory
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Thanks in advance!
 


Last edited:

Sonny

Excellent Member
#2
I would run Malwarebytes to see if there is something that needs to be taken out. If you haven't got an antivirus added to your computer I would put MSE in. Can you post your dump files. That would let someone who knows how to read them to see if there are other problems.
 


Last edited:
#3
Thank you for your reply. I jut installed Security Essentials and I am running a full system scan. I will post the Malwarebytes info and dump files tomorrow.
 


#4
I finished running the full system scan but it didn't come up with any viruses or spyware. Next I installed and ran Malewarebytes and it found three infected files. I removed them from the computer and saved the report it created this is what it said:

--
Malewarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.0.1200
Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

Database version: 6985

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

28/07/2011/9:23:52 PM
mbam-log-2011-07-28 (21-23-52).txt

Scan Type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 176533
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 53 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\activex.DLL (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\kers (Trojan.PMovie) -> Value: kers -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
c:\$Recycle.Bin\s-1-5-21-852454563-1237813065-3974439501-1001\$RS7KYTQ\KEYGEN.EXE (RiskWare.Tool.CK) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
--

I still can't connect to Gmail, though. I'm guessing this means that it's not a virus that's preventing me from connecting?
Also, I tried a couple of different Gmail accounts (as I can log into iGoogle) but none of them worked. My Gmail account worked on my other computer.
 


Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
#5
You may want to reboot if you have not, and some adware type problems can reproduce themselves...

It doesn't sound like the page is being blocked, just that something, possibly the items you found, are sending you to other websites. Have you enabled third party cookies as the message suggests? I don't use Chrome, so I do not know how for that.

Have you checked for any adds-ons that might be working. Malwarebytes is good, but HiJack This seems to find Browser Helper Obects fairly well, but you do have to research which ones are which.

In IE, you can watch the bottom of the window and watch where the browser is going. In many cases, you can see things like doubleclick and other ad sites. Perhaps that would give you some indication as to what might be going on, if Chrome does this.
 


fugno

New Member
#6
Yes "Hijack this" is a very powerful tool but if you don't know what your doing you'll do more damage than good. If you HAVE to use it and haven't before find a forum on that topic and read up on it.
 


#7
Thanks for all your help, guys! I managed to fix the problem by allowing third party cookies and deleting all the cookies again :D
 


This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.