Windows 10 Computer freezes

Johnnas

When i start the computer i come to the login screen and log in as usual. When I enter windows everything loads and are OK, but after a short while (within 5min) everything starts to freeze.

When i reset the computer it says "please reboot and select proper boot device". And when i turn the computer off and then start it again i can log in. I have Windows 10.

Does anyone know why it freezes?

Hi,
freezing can be down to a number of things such as a driver not responding, or overheating and the list goes on.

You fortunately have a little clue as to what the issue might be because the system then ask's for you to choose a proper boot device.

Your boot device is normally the Hard drive that carries Windows.

What are your drivers like? By that I mean are they up to date?

If you open the Device manager can you see any yellow question marks?

Try checking the Hard drive by locating My PC, right click on the Hard drive, choose properties, Tools followed by check drive (even if it says it doesn't need checking).

These scans may help in find and repairing any corruption within the system:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Thank u for the advices. There was no yellow questions marks. And the computer freezes within 5 minutes so it never completes the scans.

Is it possible for you to quickly boot into safe mode?

See if the freezing still occurs.

If it doesn't try running the above scans whilst still in safe mode.

Can you try a chkdsk generated from a admin command prompt?

The reason I ask is because this scan is run outside of windows so shouldn't lock up plus it may reveal or even repair what the issue is.

Open an administrators command prompt and type (or copy and paste):
chkdsk /r c:
Press enter and you'll find that the chkdsk will run on the next reboot. Please reboot and allow the scan to run.

This guide will help and has the command prompt gudie about half way down the page:
How to Fix Hard Drive Problems with Chkdsk in Windows 7, 8, and 10

Back