Windows 7 computer programmers?

dannyp32

Is anyone here a computer programmer?

could you share a little bit about your career and your experience in school

maybe what college you attended and how tough the entire course was
a brief summary of what i will learn or be able to do after i graduate will be very nice

please share as much as you can about your course in school and hopefully your job if you are already working

i plan on studying computer science and electronic engineering when i go to a university so i am very interested on the topic

Hello there and Welcome to the Forum! :)

I went to NBCC Saint John which is located in Saint John, New Brunswick - Canada. I studied Computer Programming there for one semester. I left after 1 semester because I realized that Computer Programming wasn't the specific field that I wanted to study. I then took Computer Science and a Computer Technician course at NBCC Fredericton. That was a 2 year course and it focused more on what I wanted to study.

The Computer Programming course focused on all aspects of computing (repair, maintenance, general computing concepts, etc) but each course just summarized different points, there was no real in depth study. The programming aspect mainly focused on C++ and some Visual Basic.. The course itself wasn't hard, but you did have to be patient and think before you started to write the code, otherwise you'd be spending most of your time debugging the code instead of watching your creations come to life... ;) That's where having a solid Algorithm came into play.. :)

I guess if I had to go back and do it again I probably would.. Though boring for the most part, computer programming can certainly be interesting.. ;)

That being said I went to a Community College rather then a University so instead of having 4 years or more to learn the material, everything is condensed into a 2 year course. So I guess you probably would have a better time taking the same things through University then you would through Community College..

I'm currently doing a Course in Applied Computing in Letterkenny IT, Donegal, Ireland. Its more or less a programming course with Java,c#,c++ and we also do some HTML, SQL database stuff, Networking and computer archecture.
Its a four year course for the Bachelor (Honours) degree and its currently a year of research at the end for the Masters degree.

As far the programming goes its not that hard once you get the basics, you just have to think about it for a while :) and all programming languages are very similar. Theres nothing more satisfying than having a programme work. Its very enjoyable if you have interest in it - if you like chess or puzzle solving you'd be a good programmer :D
Each module or subject we study gives and introduction and after that there are elective modules for the things you are most interested in.

I couldn't agree more, the satisfaction you get when you see your program come to life and work exactly as it should is remarkable.. ;) Now when it doesn't work and you have to spend the same amount of time or longer debugging it, that sucks.. ;) Or if you accidentally create an infinite loop, That sucks worse.. :)

Yeah its funny to watch an infinite loop though. Kinda straying from topic here but do you know about start.bat were you create a batch file which goes into a loop of opening itself and eventually crashing the computer because the memory is full. My laptop with vista could barley open it 150 times. With Windows 7 it was close to 900

You might want to post this under the Programming and Scripting section as this is basically for programmers only.

Or could you move it Radenight?

My first VB application was called You have another 30 days.

I tracked all registry changes, used a freeware registry ActiveX Control and removed the keys that set the time limit.

Don't do this any more, that was in my younger days.:)

I think this thread is ok here.. It is directly related to Programming.. ;) If there are too many complaints about it though I will move it.. :)

well from what ive heard it sounds fun because i really like using computers and fixing and assembling them

but ive heard that its hard to get a job in this field what do you guys think

I have a Computer Science degree that is focused all around programming. However, I don't like it at all. It was ok at first, but then it started to wear on me. I stuck with it because the college I went to didn't have a tech support/hardware degree. I am much happier doing tech support and building PCs.

I had a bunch of courses: C++, Java, Assmebly, Ruby, VB, Cobol...there might be some others there, but I'm trying to block them out.

In the end you have to do what you like. If you like fixing and assembling them, you might be better off in tech support or something similar. Otherwise, you can always give programming a shot and see if its right for you.

I do agree with the guys though, once you get a program to do what you want.... :D Its awesome.

Job Experience: I got hired right out of college and been working at the same place (3 years). Do internships! Those can get your foot in the door really easy, especially in this economy.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
well from what ive heard it sounds fun because i really like using computers and fixing and assembling them

but ive heard that its hard to get a job in this field what do you guys think

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

It's like Jeradw said, to enjoy programming you really have to want to do it and know exactly what your getting into.. It's quite a bit different then just putting a PC together or troubleshooting a component.. ;) But that's not to say it isn't fun, it's just not for everyone.. ;)

I'd say if you like putting computers together and troubleshooting them and are good at it then stick with that but if you think you might like programming then definitely look into it because it certainly can be a rewarding experience.. :) Just don't make the mistake that so many have and rush into Computer Programming because a buddy said it's awesome.. It certainly CAN be awesome but it is also ALOT of work..

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

I'd say if you like putting computers together and troubleshooting them and are good at it then stick with that but if you think you might like programming then definitely look into it because it certainly can be a rewarding experience.. :) Just don't make the mistake that so many have and rush into Computer Programming because a buddy said it's awesome.. It certainly CAN be awesome but it is also ALOT of work..

Thats very true. people tend to drop programming modules or switch course because its not for them, even though they may be good at it.

Back
Top Bottom