Windows 10 COMPUTER SLEEP

Curious

Extraordinary Member
Hello,

When i say in Power Options that i want to turn off the screen in 5 minutes, and put the computer to sleep in 10 minutes for example, everything works well.
The problem is when i start working again pressing the ENTER key or use the mouse.
The computer work for a few seconds and then i can use it.
After this, if i stop working, the screen turns off and the computer goes to sleep mode within one minute.
Why he doesn´t respect the configuration in Power Options again.
Best regards

Hi,
have you checked settings in the advanced section too?

Hi,
have you checked settings in the advanced section too?
Yes, and i don´t find nothing with relation with the problem.
But i think now the problem is not with Lock Screen but with Windows that put the computer in sleep mode after one minute, since the first time the times that i have configured in power options as expired as explained before.
In the power options i put 1 hour to put the computer in sleep mode. Works perfectly.
The problem is after this.
I think there is a way to change some parameter in the register, but i don´t know what parameter.
In time, in advanced power options, the "Sleep after" in the "Sleep" option has the value 60 minutes when "Plugged in"
Thanks for your answer and best regards.

Hi,
Is your computer a laptop or a desktop PC? If so, what is the make/model? (DELL, HP, ACER, ASUS, etc.); Dell Inspiron 1545.

If it's a laptop, did you try removing the Battery and seeing if the problem persists? If the laptop is older than 2 years old, and the problem does NOT occur with the AC Adapter plugged into the Wall Outlet (MAINS), then you're battery is most likely shot and that's why it's not respecting the power settings in control panel. New laptop batteries run about $65 US.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi,
Is your computer a laptop or a desktop PC? If so, what is the make/model? (DELL, HP, ACER, ASUS, etc.); Dell Inspiron 1545.

If it's a laptop, did you try removing the Battery and seeing if the problem persists? If the laptop is older than 2 years old, and the problem does NOT occur with the AC Adapter plugged into the Wall Outlet (MAINS), then you're battery is most likely shot and that's why it's not respecting the power settings in control panel. New laptop batteries run about $65 US.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
OK.
Is a ASUS laptop model K61IC WITH more that 5 years. Now is running without battery blecause he goes down.
It workshop only plugged-in.
Think for your answer.
Best regards

OK.
Is a ASUS laptop model K61IC WITH more that 5 years. Now is running without battery blecause he goes down.
It workshop only plugged-in.
Think for your answer.
Best regards
Sorry. Works, not workshop.
Thanks

Thanks, just got back into my home office. Thanks for posting your make/model. ASUS laptops do some funny things, after about 3 yrs. including freezes, hangs, and Blue Screens, as welll as random power downs. :confused:

The #1 cause of these types of problems, after a faulty battery, is a failing or failed hard drive. Did Win10 come pre-loaded from the factory on this laptop? Or did you upgrade it from an earlier version of Windows, such as Win7/8/8.1/8.1.1? It sounds like you probably did an upgrade, since it's 5 years old--probably from Win7. In this case, your hard drive could be at fault. I'll attach a document for you to help with testing your hardware; specifically your RAM memory sticks and your hard drive in that laptop.
Here's a link to that document I created for this forum: Cursor cannot reach top of Quick Launch area

This is a very long post, so you may consider printing out a hardcopy from your laptop, another computer in your home, or from your local library. Testing your hardware and software is a tedious, time-consuming process, so expect this process to take 2-4 days at the minimum. A week or more if you've never done this before. Older laptops that aren't running clean (corrupted Windows system or virus/malware infection or faulty hardware (RAM sticks or Hard Drive), don't usually do well with a new Windows OS version upgrade. Even though nothing else may be giving you problems on the new Win10 upgraded laptop, this issue may be the tip of the iceberg of things you haven't looked at. Playing DVD media and W10 Native Email issues are other common things that users who are new to Win10 haven't always gotten to right away. It's been almost 4 months since Win10 was released, and we are still seeing people who are running into these issues and others such as yours.

Notice that the document starts with testing your Hardware first, as if you do have a faulty piece of hardware, and you do a Windows SYSTEM RESTORE or a Windows RESET, those procedures cannot remedy failed hardware!! This is important to know as not everyone understands this intuitively without being told. Once you confirm your hardware is Ok, your chances at correcting your software problem are greatly increased.;) However, if you go through all these steps, and all attempts at correcting the problem have still failed, then you are looking at a failed Motherboard. :waah: This is very common in aging laptops; especially certain models of ASUS, such as the 7700 series laptops. I no longer repair these models. They were design failures from the git-go. Failed Motherboard replacements can cost anywhere from $175-$400 US or more and up to $1500 US to replace them entirely.

Armed with all of this information, if you do get to the point where it appears to be a Motherboard failure, you may simply consider replacing that laptop entirely as the cost of repairing/replacing could be much more than buying a brand new Win10 laptop off the store shelf. New Win10 laptops are going for right around $229-$249 US. These are based on current Dell website pricings as here: Inspiron 15 3000 Series Laptop. If faced with the buy-versus-repair/replace decision you might consider these factors.

If all this testing is to much to wrap your head around, or you just feel you aren't "tech-savvy" enough to go through, you can always take your laptop into your local A+ licensed Computer Pro at a local computer repair shop such as Best Buy-Geek Squad and pay them to diagnose your problem. Have them provide you with an estimate in writing (Geek Squad always does this for everyone), but if you use an independent Computer tech say out of the telephone book, make sure you get that estimate in writing. Then you can make the dreaded buy-versus-repair/replace decision that I'm talking about.:worry:

Hopefully, this doesn't scare you too much, but it could be that your laptop has failed, in 1 or more ways, and just isn't up to being used for Win10. You now have all the information you need to get this problem resolved.

Best of luck, :thumbs_up: and remember to ask any further questions you have--there are no Stupid questions when it comes to computer stuff. It's complex and tricky to say the least.

<<<BBJ>>>

Back