Windows 7 Configuring Thunderbird to get email from OPTUSNET

Tristana

I have just bought a new notebook Presario CQ61 model CQ61 - 406TU with windows 7. I have installed Thunderbird but it keeps telling me that OPTUS will not allow access. I am able to get my email from OPTUS webmail, so i know my log in info is correct. I do nor want to change my IP, I do not want to have to change my email address.

any suggestions? Thanks in advance for advice.

To me it seems the way they have Thunderbird set up to add new accounts seems not very user friendly.

Since I have no idea wht OPTUS is, if you set Thunderbird up manually, what are you picking for the server. You need to make sure the type of server is correct, pop3 or whatever, and the other information is correct. It asks you for a password it seems like twice. During the setup and the at first account access. I may be wrong about that, but it just seems that way.

Thanks Saltgrass, when I was posting my question I thought that this is Australian forum. OPTUSNET is a big IP. It seemed to get the server automatically, I will try their help tomorrow morning.

OK, but when you told me it was in Australia, I found this. It looks like it has help setting up your accounts.

An Optus myZOO email account allows you to access your email using many popular email client programs, such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird. In order to set up your Optus email accounts, you will need some information from Optus, such as the addresses of the incoming and outgoing mail servers and your Optus log in name. Once you have this information, you can set up your email client to retrieve your Optus email.

Instructions

1. Open your email client program, such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird. Under the "File" menu on the top toolbar, select "Accounts" and then choose the option for adding a new account.
  2. Set the account type to "Mail" if necessary, then select "Add."
  3. Type the name that you wish to have displayed to your recipients in the "Display Name" field, then click "Next."
  4. Enter your Optus email address in the email address field. This is your Optus username followed by @optusnet.com.au.
  5. Set up your incoming mail server options. Select "POP3" as the server type, then enter mail.optusnet.com.au in the incoming mail server field.
  6. Set up the outgoing mail server by entering mail.optusnet.com.au in the outgoing mail server (SMTP) field, then click "Next."
  7. Enter your Optus username and password into the username and password fields. Tick the box to remember the password, then click "Next." Select the "Finish" option and your Optus email account is set up and ready to use. You can repeat this process for each Optus username that you have set up.

Back