Windows 7 Confused about Upgrading

toaderina107

I'm running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. If I buy a 7 Home Premium 64 bit upgrade, I can upgrade and keep my software, correct? The only reason I ask is that I SWEAR i saw some grid somewhere that said you can only upgrade 64 bit to 32 bit, and have to do a fresh install to get 64 bit. I need to keep my software, so just let me know.

Thanks,

Lauren

I'm running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. If I buy a 7 Home Premium 64 bit upgrade, I can upgrade and keep my software, correct? The only reason I ask is that I SWEAR i saw some grid somewhere that said you can only upgrade 64 bit to 32 bit, and have to do a fresh install to get 64 bit. I need to keep my software, so just let me know.

Thanks,

Lauren
I assume you used the ei.cfg hack and actually installed Home Premium and not Ultimate. If so, your 64-bit version w/o a key should accept a 64-bit upgrade with a key.

Thanks,

Lauren

You can upgrade 32 > 32 and 64 > 64, only like for like. Similarly, only Home Premium > Home Premium, Ultimate > Ultimate etc.

I assume you used the ei.cfg hack and actually installed Home Premium and not Ultimate. If so, your 64-bit version w/o a key should accept a 64-bit upgrade with a key.

not sure what you mean about a hack...haven't hacked anything.

@Gavin19, thanks! this is what I wanted to make sure of :)

Back