Windows 7 Connected to router, but not Internet ("Connection...is broken")

oldandslow

UPDATE! RESOLVED BY UNINSTALLING "Update for MS Windows KB2732500"

Hardware setup:

• Dell Studio 1558 laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64-bit O/S, Intel Core i3
  • Linksys E1200 wireless router
  • Comcast cable modem (by Motorola)

After functioning on my home WLAN for over a year, my Dell Studio laptop suddenly refused to connect to the internet:

• Via the WLAN
  • Via an ethernet cable connected to a wired port on the Linksys router
  • Via an ethernet cable connected directly to the Comcast cable modem

Initially the error displayed by "Troubleshoot problems" was: "DNS server not responding".

Now, after all my troubleshooting efforts, the displayed error is: "The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken"

All the following devices function normally on the WLAN:

• Dell Latitude laptop, Win XP SP3
  • Toshiba Satellite, Win Vista Home Premium SP2
  • iPhone 4 (two of them)
  • iPad 2

Other than installing Windows updates a few days before, I had not made any changes to this laptop or to my WLAN (at least none that I can think of)

I have done the following in an attempt to troubleshoot:

• Searched this forum (tried most of the suggestions in the "DNS server not responding?" thread)
  • Rebooted the PC, modem, and router (multiple times, in different sequences)
  • Updated to the latest drivers for the DW1501 Wirelss-N WLAN Half-Mini Card to 5.60.48.35
  • Updated to the latest drivers for the Realtek PCIe GBE Familyh Controller to 7.61.612.2012
  • Used "Device Manager" to uninstall both of the above, then re-added using "Scan for hardware changes"
  • Tried to connect on a public AT&T WiFi network
  • Installed a USB WiFi adapter
  • Turned on SSID broadcast
  • Turned off MAC filtering
  • Turned off the McAfee firewall
  • Ran "Troubleshoot problems" after most of the above changes
  • Rebooted after most of the above changes
  • Confirmed that "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties" was set to:
  • - Obtain an IP address automatically
  • - Obtain DNS server address automatically
  • Tried manually setting the DNS server to 192.168.1.1

I have NOT yet attempted to reinstall Windows or "restore to an earlier point in time" (not sure how to :( One of the threads suggests this worked, but I'll admit to being nervous about trying it!!

An suggestions for other troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Rob

Last edited:
Back