Connection failure for one specific address: PCWorld.com

Hi, I have been having, for a week or two, the weirdest problem ever. Let's say I try to follow a link in PCWorlds newsletter, I then get an error message saying:

"Connection Failed. Firefox cannot connect to the server at Reviews and News on Tech Products, Software and Downloads - PC World.

- The site may be temporarily down, try again
etc. etc.

The message comes up immediately, no trying, just bang - head against the wall.

The same happens if I manually enter: Reviews and News on Tech Products, Software and Downloads - PC World.

Same difference with Internet Explorer.

The weird thing is that it's only PCWorld.com I cannot connect to, all other sites (this one, for instance) work fine.

I just can't remember what I might have done to exclude myself from PCWorld.

Can anybody out there guess what's the matter?

Thank you!

Try 70.42.185.10

They seem to have ping turned off.

Try 70.42.185.10

They seem to have ping turned off.
Alright, is 70.42.185.10 it? No http:// etc? Because when I enter 70.42.185.10, I get the same error.

Go to command prompt and type and enter ping pcworld.com
you'll see it times out but shows the ip address

ping google.com and see how it should work

I just typed in Pcworld.com in address bar of FF and went immediately to the their web page.

I just typed in Pcworld.com in address bar of FF and went immediately to the their web page.
So did I a few minutes ago, but now I'm on a different PC - my utility machine. It's an HP Pavillion, 3-4 years old and running Windows XP 64-bit.
I knew all along that the problem lay somewhere in the configuration of the other PC (an ASUS bare-bone running Windows 7) but I still don't know what to do about it.
Ah, well, maybe next year ;)

I am run windows 7 64 bit on an Asus board as you can see in my signature, I doubt it it is an ASUS problem. Which browser did you use? I had no problem on Fire Fox nor on MSIE 8 32 Bit or MSIE 8 64 bit accessing Reviews and News on Tech Products, Software and Downloads - PC World
Yeah, well now we'll never know - 'cause it somehow straitghtened itself out! I just now clicked a link out of a PCWorld newsletter and was immediately transported there...go figure!

Although I'm glad it's a problem no more, at the same time it's kind of frustrating because this way I'm none the wiser should it happen again.

I just remembered my last reply to you where I said 'maybe next year'. Well, right now 2010 is two years and four minutes old here...

As I am ahead of you by some six hours (GMT+1) I can report on the new year - It's cold as heck! Right now it's 10.1 degrees centigrade below zero outside my place.

Glad I'm not out and about! Thanks for taking an interest in my 'case' Sarge :)

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.